BA and BS Maritime Law Enforcement College Partnership Programs
Established in 1972, Thomas Edison State University (TESU), formerly Thomas Edison State College (TESC), is a public institution of higher education located in Trenton, New Jersey. is one of New Jersey's 12 senior public institutions of higher education and one of the oldest institutions in the country designed specifically for adults. The university has pioneered the use of the latest technology to develop flexible, high-quality educational programs for self-directed adults and is a national leader in the assessment of adult learning. Forbes magazine identified the university as one of the top 20 schools in the nation in the use of technology to create learning opportunities for adults.
The entire academic program at the university revolves around the unique needs of adults, removing the barriers of time and place that can impede progress for those who must juggle family and career responsibilities. Most adults cannot put their lives on hold to sit in a classroom at a specific time and place. The university provides flexible, high-quality, collegiate learning opportunities for self-directed adults and offers degree programs and certificates in more than 100 areas of study.
Online courses are recommended for students who enjoy reading, writing and participating in course discussions in an asynchronous, interactive online environment. Online courses are designed to be completed in a 12-week semester, and include a detailed week-by-week schedule that guides students through reading, writing and online class discussion assignments.
e-Pack® courses are designed for students who want the structure of a semester-based course, but do not require mentor guidance and do not wish to complete written assignments or share interactive discussions with other students. e-Pack® courses are completed in a 12-week semester and are based around a textbook, a series of short online diagnostic quizzes and a comprehensive final examination.
- Maritime Law Enforcement College Partnership Program: Thomas Edison State University is honored to be one of 10 institutions selected to participate in the U.S. Coast Guard's Maritime Law Enforcement College Partnership Program, a program of the Coast Guard's Force Readiness Command (FORCECOM), the Maritime Law Enforcement Academy and the Coast Guard Institute. Following programs are available.
- BA in Criminal Justice: Degree Roadmap for Chief Boatswain’s Mate & Chief Marine Science Technician
- BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness: Degree Roadmap for Chief Boatswain’s Mate & Chief Marine Science Technician
THOMAS EDISON STATE Features
Students select an area of study, or major that matches their expertise or profession. Several degree programs require students to possess professional certification or licensures. In some cases, pre-calculus algebra and calculus-level mathematic skills are required to complete course requirements. In addition, if more than half of the 60 credits transferred into the program are more than 10 years old at the time of application, students must demonstrate the currency of their knowledge. There is no campus residency requirement.
- Campus: Thomas Edison State University’s campus comprises five buildings located in the historic district surrounding New Jersey’s State Capitol Building in Trenton, New Jersey.
- Accreditation: Thomas Edison State University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Transferring Credits: : Students may transfer previously earned credits that have been awarded by regionally accredited colleges and universities. Graduates of regionally accredited community colleges may transfer up to 80 credits earned through their two-year institution. Students may transfer up to 120 credits earned at regionally accredited four-year institutions.
- Credit for College-Level Knowledge Acquired Outside the Classroom: Thomas Edison State University is a national leader in the area of assessing prior learning and applying it to a degree program. This process is known as Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). It provides students the opportunity to demonstrate they have college-level knowledge that has been acquired outside of a traditional classroom through work, corporate or military training, volunteering, adult education courses, seminars, hobbies, in-service training and other life experiences.
- Online Courses: Online courses are recommended for students who enjoy reading, writing and participating in course discussions in an asynchronous, interactive online environment. Online courses are designed to be completed in a 12-week semester, and include a detailed week-by-week schedule that guides students through reading, writing and online class discussion assignments.
- Guided Study Courses: : Guided Study courses are designed for those students who prefer less supervision. These independent, distance-learning courses run in a 12-week term. Students work on their own and use textbooks; study guides; streaming video and audio, or delivered on CD-ROM, DVD; and other materials to complete lessons and assignments. Students are assigned mentors who answer course-related questions and grade assignments and examinations.
- Professional Licenses and Certifications: Depending on the degree program, Thomas Edison State University will award credit for current professional licenses or certifications that have been evaluated and approved for credit by the University’s Academic Council. Some degree programs at the university actually require a student to have previously earned a professional license or certification.
- Military Training Programs: Thomas Edison State University enables service members to earn maximum credit for military training and education. Depending on your military training, the university can apply college credit to your degree program.
- Professional Training Programs: Depending on the degree program, Thomas Edison State University will award credit for professional training courses that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education’s (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service.