USCG Captains Courses, Crewmember and Operator Training Programs in Woodbridge VA
Located at Woodbridge VA, Marine Emergency Response Group (MERG) offers several programs including Maritime Consulting, Crewmember Training, Operator Training and USCG License Courses. All of the instructors are licensed USCG Captains and the staff have over 100 years of combined maritime service in a variety tasks from operating fireboats to towboats, from marine salvage to new equipment installations, and from marina operations to fire ground operations.
The Marine Emergency Response Group, LLC, (MERG) was founded by U.S. Coast Guard Licensed Captains; each providing years of diversified experience in maritime, and fire and rescue operations. MERG has taken this as a challenge and is working closely with the USCG, DHS, NASBLA and other agencies to develop training courses to broaden the horizons of the firefighters, police officers and marine patrols to create a safer environment when emergencies necessitate the actions of these agencies.
USCG Captains Courses
- USCG Captains Course 6-Pak License (OUPV) (56 hours)
- USCG Masters Upgrade Up to 100 Tons (24 hours)
- USCG Masters 100 Ton Course (80 hours)
- USCG Towing Endorsement Course (4.5 hours)
- USCG Captains Course Justification (56 hours): This course is primarily intended for individuals who will be responsible for the safe operation of uninspected passenger vessels of less than 100 Gross Tons. The course is of limited duration yet provides the comprehensive training required of a USCG Approved Course as required in the Code of Federal Regulations.
- 8 Hour Lecture: Designed for the novice as an introduction to the marine environment. This class will cover basic marine terminology, vessel characteristics, equipment, distress signals, towing and trailering, ropes and knots, safety, communications, and department SOP’s.
- 16 Hour Class: The 16-hour class will break up the 8-hour lecture into modules to incorporate hands-on training. Beginning with a half-day lecture, this class moves into hands-on training and familiarization of your equipment. Day two begins with a short classroom session and quickly moves into practical exercises using your equipment.
- 32 Hour Class: This class is designed as the basics for an agency starting a new program. We start with the 16-hour class and progress into practical applications for boat operators on day three while crewmembers are completing more practical exercises. On the last day, we combine operator and crewmember techniques in practical exercises to introduce the team concept and team building. This class truly provides the most for your money.
- Marine Jet Operational Training: This program demonstrates the versatility of marine jet propulsion systems and then instructs the students on the proper operation of the system.
- Jet and Prop Propulsion Vessels Training: MERG will teach general to advanced handling techniques for vessels equipped with jets or props, single or multiple engines. Operator training involves hands-on operations of your vessel, while underway, through a series of evolutions involving, but not limited to, docking, close quarter handling, high speed operations, and a variety of other techniques used in routine and emergency situations.
LAST UPDATED ON Oct 2, 2018