Pick your Language (Translate)
Challenger TAFE / Challenger Institute of Technology is now South Metropolitan TAFE, Please visit our South Metropolitan TAFE section here.
Challenger Institute of Technology consists of campuses and centers along the coastline south of Perth from Fremantle to the Peel region and inland to Murdoch. Challenger Institute is the preferred choice of more than 25,000 full-time and part-time students applying for a huge variety of careers, courses and subjects.
Challenger Institute has several industry training centers to provide quality training for the industry and community clients. The Centers are closely aligned to the needs of industry. They are focused on targeting their training and employment services for the wider community including for diverse, and in some instances, disadvantaged groups.
Situated in the heart of Western Australia’s major port, the WA Maritime Training Center – Fremantle provides a range of maritime-related courses. The Center consists of extensive training facilities, including simulators, a fleet of 8 vessels, engineering, seamanship and aquaculture workshops, biological and computing laboratories, and the Australian Center for Applied Aquaculture Research where applied research is undertaken. Courses run at the Center for study in a certificate of competency have continuous enrollments throughout the year.
Logistics & Transport Programs
- Diploma of Logistics (13 months, Part-time): This program is for those who have completed a Certificate IV in Warehousing and Storage. The course content is designed in consultation with employers, and it combines workplace projects and assignments with classroom theory.
- Certificate IV in Transport and Distribution (12 months, Part-time): This program is designed for those with some industry experience. The course content is designed in consultation with employers, and involves on-the-job assessments conducted by Challenger Institute assessors.
Marine Operations Programs
- Elements of Shipboard Safety Certificate -3 days
- Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate - 3 days
- Coxswain Restricted 8m - part completion of Certificate II in Transport & Distribution (Coastal Maritime Operations-Coxswain) - 4 days approx
- Coxswain Certificate II in Transport & Distribution (Coastal Maritime Operations-Coxswain) -5 weeks approx
- AB to IR Bridging Course Certificate III in Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations-Integrated Rating) - 9 weeks
- Certificate III in Transport & Distribution (Coastal Maritime Operations-Master Class 5) - 7 weeks approx
- Certificate IV in Transport & Distribution (Coastal Maritime Operations-Master Class 4) - 14 weeks
- Master Class 3/Master < 500GT Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations-Deck Watchkeeper) - 37 weeks
- Deck Watchkeeper Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations-Deck Watchkeeper) - 35 weeks
- Master Unlimited, Master/Chief Mate<3000GT Advanced Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations-Master Unlimited) - 35 weeks
- Integrated Rating Certificate III in Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations-Integrated Rating) - 15 weeks
- Chief Integrated Rating Certificate IV in Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations) - 4 weeks
- Deck Cadet Certificate III in Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations) - 15 weeks
- Marine Pilot Training: Diploma of Transport and Distribution (Maritime Operations) and Advanced Diploma of Transport and Distribution (Maritime Operations) – 30 months
Marine Engineering Programs
- Certificate III in Transport & Distribution (Marine Engine Driving – Grade II) - 3 weeks
- Certificate IV in Transport & Distribution (Marine Engine Driver Grade I) - 7 weeks
- Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Coastal Marine Engineering-Engineer Class 3) - 7 weeks
- Certificate III in Marine Mechanics: The Certificate is an integrated on-and off-the-job training program for those employed under the Australian Apprenticeship Scheme. Typically, an apprentice would attend two four-week blocks for 2 1/2 years, with skills and knowledge being reinforced in the workplace and recorded in a training record book.
- Engineering Cadet Certificate III in Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations) - 28 weeks
- Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Marine Engineering-Engineer Watchkeeper) - 30 weeks
- Advanced Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Marine Engineering-Class 2) - 45 weeks
- Advanced Diploma of Transport & Distribution (Marine Engineering-Class 1) - 45 weeks
Maritime Commercial Courses (STCW 95)
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- AMSA Oral Exam Preparation
- Bridge Resource Management Maritime Resourse Management (BRM/MRM) Course
- Certificate of Safety Training (STCW95)
- Engineer Revalidation (Marine)
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (Basic Fire) S5435
- GMDSS Revalidation
- Marine Satellite Communication Endorsement (SATCOM) S0151
- Masters (Deck) Revalidation
- Medical Care for Shipmasters S5433
- Medical First Aid S5402
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities S5428
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Port Facility Security Officer - Information Flyer
- Proficiency in Survival Craft
- Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST)
- ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) Operation
- ROV Frequently Asked Questions
- Ship Security Officer - Information Flyer
- Tanker Safety
- Upgrade Course for the Safe Navigational Management of Large Tonnage Vessels (over 3000GT) M2 - M1 09084