Translate to Your Language
Coxswain, Marine Engine Driver, and Master Courses & Logistics and Warehousing Training Programs in North of Western Australia
North Regional TAFE is the largest provider of training and vocational services in the north of Western Australia, servicing industries and communities across a region exceeding one million square kilometers. North Regional TAFE has twelve campuses - from Karratha in the south to Kununurra in the north - with the College’s three largest centers at Broome, South Hedland and Karratha. Kimberley Training Institute campuses are now part of North Regional TAFE, including Broome, Derby, Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek and Kununurra, as well as the six Pilbara Institute campuses.The College delivers over 200 nationally recognized and industry endorsed qualifications each year to over 8,000 students. Training is also offered in non-accredited programs, short courses, work-readiness programs, literacy and numeracy, and skill sets.
TAFE provides world-class training in aquaculture, marine operations and marine engineering. These courses are designed to set you up for a career in a range of maritime and aquaculture related fields, including commercial fishing, marine tourism, aquaculture, deck cadet and ship’s captain. Maritime programs are available at Broome, Derby, Karratha, Kununurra, and Pundulmurra (Hedland) campuses. Logistics & warehousing courses are available at Broome and Karratha campuses.
The Broome Maritime Simulation Centre (BMSC) is based at the North Regional TAFE's head office in Broome, Western Australia. The Centre specialises in state of the art maritime simulation services for new and existing ports. Providing services for the research and design phases of new port development through to the operational procedures for existing port operators, the BMSC has carried out numerous projects for Australian and international clients over the past 4 years.
- Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) (Flexible, Classroom): To attain this qualification you need to complete the following skill sets - Elements of Shipboard Safety (ESS), Coxswain Vessel Operations, Coxswain Environmental Practices, Coxswain Engineering, and Coxswain Navigation. This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal in the maritime industry.
- Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) (Flexible, Classroom): To attain the qualification required for the certificate, you need to complete the following skill sets - Elements of Shipboard Safety (ESS), Coxswain Vessel Operations, and Coxswain Environmental Practices. his qualification is suitable for people who work as a coxswain in the maritime industry and command a commercial marine vessel such as fishing boats, ferries, water taxis, jet boats, yachts, catamarans and tourist craft.
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) (Flexible, Classroom): You will learn how to take charge of machinery aboard a sea going vessel where the main propulsion machinery does not exceed 750kW. You will also learn about safety and survival at sea, extinguishing fires and first aid.
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master Up to 24 Meters Near Coastal) (Flexible, Classroom): This qualification will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to safely operate a commercial vessel of less than 24 meters in length within offshore limits. You will learn skills in shipboard safety, marine radio operation, navigation, ship knowledge and vessel operations.
- Certificate IV in Maritime Operations (Master Up To 35 Metres Near Coastal): In this program you will study alongside other experienced seafarers to develop your knowledge and skills across a broad range of critical areas defined by the units offered. The program designed for this qualification will use our state of the art facilities including the internationally renowned Broome Maritime Simulation Centre for some of the units and exercises.
Logistics and Warehousing Courses
- Certificate II in Logistics: The Certificate II in Logistics can be offered as part of a 12 month traineeship or face to face delivery. The focus of this course will be offering students the knowledge and practical hands-on experience in the workplace.
- Certificate III in Logistics: This qualification will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to coordinate the dispatch and receivable of goods including inventory, stocktaking and customs procedures. You will learn how to prepare documents, maintain records and provide information to clients.
- Certificate II in Warehousing Operations: This qualification will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to receive and dispatch goods, and pick and pack orders. You will learn how to participate in stock-takes, handle dangerous goods, and operate a hand forklift. You will also learn skills in computing, customer service and quality control procedures.
BMSC Specilized Training
- Pilot Validation
- Emergency Procedure Training
- Cyclone Procedure Validation
- ASD Handling
- Tug and Barge Operations
- Dredging Support
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 17, 2018