Translate to Your Language
Marine Chartered or Professional Recognitions, Training Courses and Approved Programs for Marine Professionals at IMarEST
Founded in 1888 and headquartered in London, IMarEST - Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology is the international professional body and learned society for all marine professionals. The IMarEST accredits Academic, Continuing Professional Development (CPD), Initial Professional Development (IPD) and Graduate Training courses in marine engineering, science and technology around the world.
IMarEST is the largest marine organization of its kind with a worldwide membership based in over 120 countries, it is a registered charity and provides grades of membership for everyone, from those seeking to become Chartered or gain other Professional Recognition, to those just starting out in their careers or studying in education. The IMarEST received its Royal Charter in 1933 and is a licensed body of both the Engineering Council UK and the Science Council UK.
IMarEST run training courses in maritime hubs all over the world as well as bringing tailor-made training courses managed by industry leading and independent course lecturers to you via web based training. Courses are eligible for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) as well as giving attendees the chance to be part of IMarEST’s international online network to engage and share knowledge and information with industry peers.
IMarEST supports your career development and lifelong learning, offering you the opportunity to gain recognition for your skills and experience through membership and professional registration. Being a Fellow of the Institute is an esteemed position and the ultimate accolade, recognizing a level of distinction within your profession.
Professional Recognition & Training Programs
Marine Professional Recognitions
- Chartered Marine Technologist (CMarTech): Chartered Marine Technologists are professionals, who harness, exploit, manage, use or apply marine technology in the pursuit of wealth creation and/or the provision of services in the marine sector. Chartered Marine Technologists are characterized by their ability to deal with complex issues, both systematically and creatively and can make sound judgments in the absence of complete data to develop solutions to problems and communicate their conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Chartered Marine Technologists will be professionals from the following disciplines typically: Fleet Managers, Hydrographers, Marine Superintendants (Deck), Meteorologists, Pilots, Marine Logisticians, Deck Officers and Ratings, Marine Surveyors, Shipping Professionals, Harbourmasters, College Lecturers, Navigators, Radar/Sonar Maintenance Experts, Warfare Officers and Ratings and Naval Officers and Ratings.
- Marine Technicians (MarTech): Marine Technicians are professional Scientists or Technologists, who harness, exploit, manage, use or apply marine science or marine technology in the pursuit of research, wealth creation and/or the provision of services in the marine sector. Marine Technicians are involved in applying proven techniques and procedures to the solution of practical scientific and technological problems.
- Registered Marine Technologists (RMarTech): Registered Marine Technologists are professionals, who harness, exploit, manage, use or apply marine technology in the pursuit of wealth creation and/or the provision of services in the marine sector. Registered Marine Technologists are characterized by their ability to act as exponents of today’s technology through creativity and innovation.
- Registered Marine Scientists (RMarSci): Registered Marine Scientists are professional scientists, who harness, exploit, manage, use or apply marine science in the pursuit of knowledge, understanding of the marine environment, wealth creation and/or the provision of services in the marine sector. Registered Marine Scientists are characterized by their ability to act as exponents of today’s technology through creativity and innovation.
- More information: Check this IMarEST Registers Standards Document for more details
IMarEST Training Courses
- MLA College Training Programs (online): MLA College offers Higher Education degree qualifications in Partnership with Plymouth University. Adding to the established Hydrographic Academy courses, new programs include undergraduate and postgraduate degree qualifications in Sustainable Maritime Operations for Seafarers (Deck and Engineer), and Master's programs in Hydrography, Meteorology, Oceanography and Navigation.
- Marine Data Management Awareness Course: The course shows how effective data management can improve your organization’s efficiency in data acquisition, storage and analysis. It will ensure you understand data use with respect to corporate risk, re-use, audit and traceability whilst at the same time minimizing costs. The course -delivered by data management specialists OceanWise - is aimed at those who work with marine data from its capture, processing, ingestion, re-use and curation and those seeking to discover, view, download and transform data.. It is about knowing what data you already have, where it is, how to find it and how good it is.
- Metocean Awareness Course: The Metocean Awareness Course is aimed at those who need to have a greater understanding of metocean conditions worldwide and how they might impact the effectiveness of their work. The course format will include a mixture of short presentations presented by expert speakers in this field and interactive workshop sessions including a group case study exercise. Delegates will receive a comprehensive course manual on attendance.