Master Mariner, Merchant Marine, Maritime Resource and Cargo Management Training in Finland
Founded in 1813, Aboa Mare (formerly Sydvast Maritime) has long traditions in Maritime Education in Turku, Finland. Aboa Mare trains Master Mariners and Marine Engineers at Novia University of Applied Sciences and watchkeeping officers and watchkeeping engineers at Axxell Vocational Institute. Some of the training offered to the students is delivered by the Meriturva Training Unit and by the Maritime Safety Center
In addition to the degree-oriented education, Aboa Mare also arranges weekend courses on which you can study to become a boatmaster, skipper in domestic traffic or engine attendant. In addition to this, Aboa Mare arranges a variety of continuing education courses for professional seafarers, boaters and other interested parties.
Aboa Mare has ship simulators in Turku and Espoo. Certain parts of the education are carried out together with, Meriturva, Wärtsilä and the Maritime Safety Center. In order to be able to offer a wide range of courses and satisfy the needs of the clients, Aboa Mare has created a large network of experts on diverse fields within seafaring, able to teach a large variety of courses and all STCW-courses. In addition to STCW-courses Aboa Mare offers a large number of continuing-education courses, which update and add to your skills and preparedness.
Novia University of Applied Sciences Programs
- Bachelor of Maritime Management (Full-time, English): The objective of the education is to train competent and versatile captains for the national, European and international traffic. The main tasks of a sea captain include being responsible for and maneuvering a vessel, and transporting cargo in such a way which is safe for both people and the environment. The education also offers bases for functioning in leading positions in land-based organizations within the maritime field. The training fulfils the requirements set in the STCW Convention.
- Master of Engineering/Master of Maritime Management (Part-time, English): This Master's degree program is for you who are active within the maritime field and who wish to deepen your knowledge and become more attractive for different management duties within the maritime industry. The Master's degree program in Maritime Management comprises 60 ECTS and the degree title is Master of Engineering or Master of Maritime Management, depending on your previous Bachelor's degree.
- Master of Engineering, Autonomous Maritime Operations (Part-time, English): This Master's degree program is for you who are interested to be a part of the fourth industrial revolution in maritime technology. The program has a special focus concerning the digitalization of maritime operations.
- Sjökapten (YH) dagstudier, full-time studies in Swedish for youth
- Sjökapten (YH) flerformsstudier, full-time studies in Swedish for adults
Axxell Vocational Institute Programs
- Watchkeeping Officer (Swedish): As a Watchkeeping officer (Vaktstyrman in Swedish), you can work as a mate on a merchant ship in international traffic or as master on smaller vessels in Baltic traffic.
- Watchkeeping Engineer (Swedish): As a Watchkeeping engineer officer (Vaktmaskinmästare in Swedish), you can work as an engineer on merchant ships in international traffic or as chief engineer on smaller vessels.
- Skipper’s certificate for domestic service (Swedish/Finnish)
Maritime Training Centre Courses
- Ice Navigation Course (Polar Code) combined (5 days)
- IGF Code Basic & Advanced (5 days)
- VTS Operator Training (8 days)
- VTS Supervisor Training (10 days)
- VTS On the Job Training Instructor (10 days)
- Medical First Aid STCW 4-1
- SAR (Search and Rescue) Operations
- OSC course (On-Scene Coordinator)
- International SAR Course
- DP Induction Course (4 days)
- DP Simulator Course
- DP Maintenance Course
- SRC certificate
- ROC certificate
- GOC certificate
- GOC and ROC refreshment
- BRM training
- AIS course
- Bridge team training
- IBS course
- Advanced shiphandling
- Pilotage Exemption Certificates
- ECOTRAIN, training of energy-efficient ship operations
- Basic tanker course
- Advanced oil tanker course
- Maritime Resource Management (MRM) course
- SSO course (Ship Security Officer)
- CCM (Crowd and Crisis Management and Human Behaviour) course