Translate to Your Language
MCA, MSO, RYA and ISA Approved Marine Training Programs in Killybegs Ireland
Located at Killybegs Ireland, The Seamanship Centre offers professional industry training to international shipping companies, the offshore and yachting industries. The participant of the courses are Marine Professionals working for companies such as Bibby Offshore, P&O Maritime, and Njord Offshore to name a few. The modules are delivered to the highest standard to meet the course objectives in a manner that is relevant to both commercial shipping and the Yachting industry.
The Centre is able to offer a wide range of Maritime Coastguard Agency Approved Courses (MCA) that meets high standards set out by the MCA and the STCW (The international STCW of 1995 as amended by Manila Amendments 2010). The centre also provides The Marine Survey Office MSO courses which is part of the Irish Maritime Administration IM.
The Seamanship Centre offers RYA courses designed for whatever level or skill of professionalism and knowledge you want to achieve all the way from the beginner to Yacht master Ocean. Also the STCW week is run every 8 weeks and courses are offered individually or as a group of four one day courses. The Health and Safety Course include interactive, practical sessions, group discussions and videos that keep learners engaged.
- MCA Approved Efficient Deck Hand (5 days): This course is based on COSWP the code of safe working practices for merchant seamen and is designed to meet the latest standards of the MCA for the issue of an Efficient Deck Hand certificate.
- MCA Approved HELM (Operational) (Human Element Leadership & Management) (3 days): The emphasis throughout the course is to develop understanding of human factor concepts and understanding of how human actions influence, for good or ill, the practical application of those concepts.
- MCA Approved Marine Engine Course (4 days): A 30 hour course designed to give students both the theoretical knowledge and practical hands-on experience of diesel engines. It will enable students to carry out regular servicing of marine diesel engines, and to carry out fault detection and prevention.
- MCA Approved Medical Care Aboard Ship (5 days): This course of training is required if you wish to qualify for a Chief Mates/Masters certificate of competency at sea and / or are in charge of the medical care of personnel aboard their vessel.
- MCA Approved SSO (Ship Security Officer) (3 days): This course meets the requirements of SOLAS and the ISPS code in respect of Ship Security Officer training. The course covers security both onboard the ship and the interface between ship, operating company and port facility.
- MCA Approved Stability and Deck Crane (5 days): Stability and safe operation of knuckle cranes and derricks.
- MCA Master 200 Orals Prep (4 days): Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 500gt)
- MCA Proficiency in Medical First Aid (3 days): This course is a requirement for seafarers wishing to progress at sea as a rating or become an Officer of the Watch (OOW).
MSO Irish Courses
- Able Seafarer Deck Course (5 days): An STCW II/5 Able Seafarer – Deck is a qualified rating at the STCW Support Level in the deck department on seagoing vessels of 500GT or more. Duties include but are not limited to standing navigational watches, security watches, maintaining the safety and security of the ship its cargo and personnel and undertaking a range of practical seafarer skills including rope work, anchoring, mooring activities and the general operation of the ship and its systems.
- RYA / ISA Powerboat Level 2 (2 days practical): RYA Powerboat courses are primarily for those using small powered craft such as RIBs, dories and sports boats that don't generally undertake long or offshore passages.
- RYA / Day Skipper (4 days practical): Take charge on short passages under instruction, with help and advice from your instructor. This course can help you get the best from your modern electronic aids such as GPS and radar, which are now virtually standard equipment on modern motor cruisers.
- RYA / ISA Essential Navigation & Seamanship (2 days classroom): This course offers an introduction to navigation and safety awareness for new or inexperienced skippers and crew, and those wanting to refresh their skills. It is for anyone interested in sailing, motor boating, sea angling or diving, and works well in complementing the on-the- water Powerboat Level 2 and Helmsman courses.
- RYA / ISA Powerboat Advanced (2 days practical & night passage): This course is for leisure and professional boaters wanting to undertake more adventurous trips by day and night. It includes navigation at planing speed, weather and other aspects of skippering powerboats on more challenging passages in coastal waters.
- RYA Radar Course (1 day): A one-day course giving you an understanding of radar as an aid to navigation and collision avoidance.
- RYA Yachtmaster 200T Practical & Exam (4 days): Developed for candidates for the Yachmaster Offshore exam. You will spend 3 days onboard the vessel on which you will be examined day four. Advanced skills in offshore & coastal navigation by day & night, pilotage & meteorology.
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased (5 days): This course is for those aspiring to blue water cruising and is ideal for holders of the Yachtmaster Offshore certificate who are preparing for their first ocean passage.
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased (5 days): This course is ideal for candidates for the Coastal Skipper practical course & Yachmaster Offshore exam. This course includes some revision of the Day Skipper shorebased course plus more advanced skills in offshore & coastal navigation by day & night, pilotage & meteorology.
- VHF DSC Radio (2 days): This certificate, administrated by COMREG, is suitable for operators who use marine VHF equipment on the international marine VHF channels. This includes yachtsmen, offshore workers and crane operators.
- Boat Handling, Pilotage & Close Quarters Seamanship (3 day practical): The 3-day practical is run on the dedicated Training Vessel Smoothhound. She is a twin screw workboat /passenger boat 650 hp with very impressive sea-keeping qualities and is the ideal training boat. Four candidates are and form two watch-keeping teams for three days / nights of Navigation Pilotage, Seamanship and Close Quarters Boat Handling.
STCW Courses (4 days)
- STCW Week - Elementary First Aid (1 day)
- STCW Week - PSSR (1 day)
- STCW Week - PST (1 day)
- STCW Week - Ship Security Awareness / Designated Duties (1 day)
- Confined Space Awareness (1 day)
- Deck Crane & Safe Lifting Course (1 day)
- Risk Assessment (1 day)
- Slinger / Signaller (1 day)
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 17, 2017