Banksman and Slinger Training Stages 1 Initial Training Program & Stage 2 Further Training and Workplace Experience Requirements
The OPITO approved Banksman & Slinger Stage 1 Initial Training is the Initial Training Program for personnel wishing to become competent in the Banksman & Slinger role in the oil and gas industry. The aims and objectives of Stage 1 Initial Training Program are to provide personnel, who have little or no experience of the Banksman & Slinger role, with the basic knowledge of activities associated with the combined roles, and the safety and regulatory requirements of those activities.
The Initial Training Program allows the delegate to demonstrate basic Banksman & Slinger practical skills following instruction and demonstration by the training staff. This Training Program aims to prepare the delegates for the next stage of the progression path to becoming a competent banksman & slinger i.e. Stage 2: supervised workplace experience.
Stage 2 Further Training and Workplace Experience: The candidate Banksman & Slinger has two years from the date on his/her OPITO Stage 1 certificate to complete the workplace requirements specified in the logbook. Having successfully completed the Stage 2 logbook, the candidate must undertake the Stage 3 Banksman & Slinger Assessment within the same two-year period.
- Duration of Stage 1: Approx. 24 hours (3 days)
- Validity: 2 years
- Pre-requisites: None for stage 1
Banksman and Slinger Training
Stage 1 Initial Training
Introduction to Lifting Operations
- Regulations and safety issues
- Introduction to lifting roles and equipment
- Preparing for the lift
- Carrying out the lift
- Restoring the work area
The Banksman’s Role
- The Banksman’s duties
- Communications and visibility
- Principles of slinging
- The role of a Banksman & Slinger in a planned lift
Stage 2 Further Training and Workplace Experience
- Work Under Supervision of a Competent Person: The candidate Banksman & Slinger must record the Stage 2 tasks in the logbook under supervision of a competent person.
- Witnessed and Signed: Each lift must occur on different dates and be signed off by a competent witness and a task supervisor.
- Logbook Senior Employer Representative: The Stage-2 Logbook must also be signed by a senior employer representative on completion of all the tasks - while working for that particular employer.
- Two years for Stage 2: The candidate Banksman & Slinger has two years from the date on his/her OPITO Stage 1 certificate to complete the workplace requirements specified in the logbook
- Evidence Requirements and Audit Purposes: The Stage 2 logbook is the possession of the Banksman & Slinger and should be kept as part of his/her evidence requirements in their employing company’s competence management system.
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only - please check with OPITO for the latest and accurate information on Training Standards
Last Updated: March 23, 2021