Translate to Your Language
Maritime & Yachting, and Superyacht Training at Manukau Institute of Technology (MIT) Mahurangi Campus
Established in 1989, Mahurangi Technical Institute is part of Manukau Institute of Technology Mahurangi Campus and located in the popular lifestyle town of Warkworth, an hour north of Auckland and has a town population of approximately 3500. This busy town offers the best in boutique shopping, cafes and bars, with Matakana, Sandspit and Kawau Bay, surf and sandy beaches only minutes away.
Mahurangi Technical Institute offers a range of maritime qualifications (Maritime New Zealand) taught by the highly qualified and experienced tutors. MTI has a comprehensive range of courses and packages, from introductory level through to commercially orientated courses enabling you to skipper ocean-going super yachts up to 24m long and to crew on mega-yachts.
MTI also offers the RYA/MCA programs. Royal Yachting Association (RYA) certificates are internationally recognized by not only all the Maritime and Coastguard Agency Red-flagged countries (e.g., UK, Bermuda, Cayman Island etc), which covers 83% of the world's largest commercial yachts but by major worldwide yacht charter companies, insurance companies and maritime employment agencies.
- Overseas Experience Training (10 days): The OE (Overseas Experience) course includes the Standards of Training Certification & Watchkeeping for Seafarer’s (STCW) Basic Training. (This is a minimum prerequisite for crew working on MCA registered vessels). PLUS the RYA Power Boat Level 2 certificate (basic boat handling and seamanship skills – ideal training for driving the vessel’s tenders) and the Maritime Restricted Operator’s Certificate (MROC).
- Qualified Deck Crew (QDC): The National Certificate in Maritime, Deckhand programme is suited to people employed as deckhands on commercial vessels. Most of the qualification syllabus can be achieved on-job and recognizes the skills and knowledge already established by employees on commercial vessels i.e. rope work, identifying vessel parts.
- Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL): This program is designed for people who wish to be a skipper of a commercial vessel up to 24 meters in length, operating up to 12 nautical miles off the New Zealand coast.
- Maritime Restricted Radio Operators Certificate (MRROC): RROC course is a one day course.
- Certificate in Superyacht Crewing Level 3: By the inclusion of internationally issued certificates from the United Kingdom’s ‘Royal Yachting Association’ (RYA), the French ‘Professional Yachting Association’ (PYA) and flag states ‘Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping’ (STCW) the MIT ‘Certificate in Superyacht Crewing’ will open up your world to a host of opportunities in the maritime industry.
- Fire Fighting
- First Aid
- Sea Survival
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR)
- Security Awareness Training (SAT)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA/CBES Day Skipper Practical - (Motor)
- RYA/CBES Day Skipper Practical - (Sail)
- MCA/RYA Coastal Skipper (Motor)
- MCA/RYA Coastal Skipper (Sail)
- MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Motor)
- MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sail)
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 20, 2018