Pick Your Language (Translate)
Maritime Sea Certification & STCW Training at the International Maritime Institute of New Zealand (IMINZ)
Established in 1904, Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (NMIT) is a high quality tertiary education provider located in the Nelson-Marlborough region at the top of New Zealand's South Island. The main campuses are in Nelson and Blenheim, South Island, New Zealand. NMIT offers more than 80 programs at certificate, diploma or degree level across a broad range of areas. NMIT's yearly enrollment is around 3,000 equivalent full-time students,
Located in Nelson, the seafood capital of New Zealand, The International Maritime Institute of New Zealand (IMINZ) is part of Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology. The staff are experienced seafarers with many years of combined experience between them. The Maritime School offers a wide range of statutory and non-statutory courses for the marine transport, aquaculture, marine tourism and fishing industries as well as customized training packages and consultancy services designed to suit the needs of national and international clients.
IMINZ has close links with local companies as well as other associated training providers. Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology is a government tertiary institution and provides MARITIME NEW ZEALAND (MNZ) approved maritime certifications, licensing and programs. The programs are approved by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA), where applicable.
Training Programs & Courses
Maritime Diploma Programs
- Level 6 Diploma in Nautical Science (full-time, part-time): This program is for mariners who meet the requirements of Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) to apply for their Watchkeeper Deck Certificate of Competency. MNZ will require evidence of sea-time; medical check and training record book in addition to your IMINZ Qualification. Duration will vary depending on your sea-time and any prior qualifications you may have. The program includes a 36-43 weeks full time block course in Nelson.
- Level 6 Diploma in Marine Engineering Class 3 and Class 4 (full-time, part-time): This program is a significant part of the Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) training requirements for students to gain the internationally recognized STCW Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch Class 3 certificate of competency or Maritime New Zealand Seafarer Certification and Operational Limits Framework Class 4 certificate of competency. Duration will vary depending on your sea-time and any prior qualifications you may have. The program includes a 30 - 36 weeks full time block course in Nelson.
Maritime Certificate Programs
- Level 4 NZ Certificate in Maritime Operations - Skipper Restricted Limits (24 weeks): This is the entry level Maritime New Zealand license for you to be able to operate as a Skipper of a small vessel. You need to complete the 18 week online course before attending a block course on the Nelson campus.
- Level 4 NZ Certificate in Maritime Operations - Skipper Coastal Offshore (full-time, part-time, 24 weeks): This program will give you the skills you need to take charge of, and maintain, the safety of vessels of less than 24 meters length, operating within coastal and offshore limits.
- Level 4 NZ Certificate in Marine Engineering Class 5 / Class 6: The Class 6 is a 45 credit certificate program with an optional 45 credit endorsement in Marine Engineering Class 5. The optional endorsement recognizes those that can apply their skill to advanced vessel systems including electrical and control systems. 24 weeks total duration for MEC5 (includes MEC6) - includes online/distance learning components and a 10 week block course here in Nelson. If you already hold MEC6, or if you only need MEC6, then this duration will be reduced. Full-time with some part-time options are available.
- Level 4 Maritime Crewing STCW Able Seafarer Deck / STCW Able Sea Farer Engine / STCW Electro-technical Rating (17 weeks, full-time): You have the option to complete this program with one of two strands: Deck Crew or Engineering and also accredited to offer the Electro-technical Rating strand. Completion of this qualification is a prerequisite to applying for a Maritime New Zealand STCW Able Seafarer Deck license, or Maritime New Zealand STCW Able Seafarer Engine license.
- Level 3 NZ Certificate in Domestic Maritime Crewing (12 weeks, full-time): This program is ideal if you’re new to maritime or wish to progress to a role where a Maritime New Zealand Qualified Deck Crew certificate may be required.
- Level 3 Maritime Crewing STCW Deck Watch Rating / STCW Engine Watch Rating: This program caters for entry-level deck and engine room crew keen to work at sea on large seagoing vessels. You have the option to complete the program with one of two strands - Deck Crewing and Engineering. Completion of this qualification is a prerequisite to applying for a Maritime New Zealand STCW Deck Watch Rating license, OR Maritime New Zealand STCW Engine Watch Rating license.
- Level 3 Certificate in Superyacht Crewing (12 weeks, full-time): During this twelve week programme you will learn a wide range of skills which will prepare you for anything life as a superyacht crew member can throw at you. You will gain internationally recognized qualifications from worldwide training associations such as RYA, PYA, STCW and Watchkeeping (international), as well as the IMINZ Certificate in Superyacht Crewing.
Related Short Courses
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Refresher
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- STCW Advanced Firefighting
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- STCW Elementary First Aid
- STCW Medical First Aid
- Electronic Chart Display Information Systems (Generic)
- Global Maritime Distress Safety System Refresher Training
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft
- Maritime Restricted Operators Certificate (MROC)
- General Radiotelegraph Operator’s Certificate (MGROC)
- Tanker Basic Safety Training - Oil and Chemical
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques Refresher
- High Voltage Vessel Systems - Management
- STCW High Voltage Vessel Systems - Operational
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat Refresher
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 20, 2018