Translate to Your Language
New Zealand Qualifications Level 3-6 Programs in Maritime, Logistics & Supply Chain and STCW Training
Established in 2016 and located at Tauranga with mutiple campuses, Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology is the largest tertiary provider in the Bay of Plenty and the third largest institute of technology in New Zealand and home to more than 14,000 students, more than 1,000 staff. The institute offers more than 150 programs ranging from certificate to postgraduate level. Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology is an amalgamation of two institutions - Bay of Plenty Polytechnic in Tauranga, and Waiariki Institute of Technology in Rotorua.
Toi Ohomai Institute’s Road Transport, Warehousing & Logistics Training Centre Tauranga conducts various levels of courses on logistics and supply chain management which are designed to allow you to study while you work and improve your qualifications at the same time, with options like flexible start times and assessments in the workplace. All the courses are approved by the New Zealand Transport Agency.
Toi Ohomai Institute is a government tertiary institution and provides skipper's license courses and a range of other maritime qualifications that are endorsed by Maritime New Zealand. The Transport & Distribution programs and training approved by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
- Maritime Operations - Skipper Restricted Limits (Level 4) (1 year, full time): This training is best suited to those already employed in these industries and those about to progress into roles that require a formal qualification. It is the approved Maritime New Zealand training program for the license Skipper Restricted Limits, which is essential for skippers of vessels up to 12 meters (or 24 meters with further endorsement), who navigate to a distance of up to 12 nautical miles off the New Zealand coast. A flexible learning approach enables you to start to complete some course components online, meaning less time away from your job, and a focus on completing a Seafarer Training Record Book based on sea time means that all of your learning is put into a relevant workplace context.
- New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Crewing (Level 2) (12 weeks full-time): This 12 week maritime course teaches you to carry out deck crew duties under supervision, and gives you the training and qualifications you need to apply for entry-level positions on commercial vessels. You'll board various vessels including the Toi Ohomai vessel Weka and learn the skills you need to be an effective crew member and perform basic operational tasks.
- Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW-10) (1 week full-time, part-time available): Upon successful completion of each topic you will receive the relevant certificate of competency in - STCW Basic Firefighting, STCW Elementary First Aid, STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibility, STCW Personal Survival, and STCW Security Awareness.
Logistics & Supply Chain Courses
- New Zealand Diploma in Supply Chain Management (Level 6) (1 year full-time, part-time & online available): This online logistics course has been created for middle to senior management who are already in the industry, and those wanting to work within supply chain management. The course helps formally cement knowledge and skills in a wide range of supply chain business settings and as a graduate you'll be a key decision maker, benefitting your workplace with strategic skills and knowledge that optimizes the supply chain of products to market.
- New Zealand Diploma in International Freight Logistics (Freight Forwarding) (Level 5) (1 year full-time, part-time & online available): This qualification is ideal for those who are already experienced operators in international freight logistics, as well as those wanting to enter the industry and study online. You'll gain advanced knowledge of international freight logistics concepts, legislation and practice, for employment in sectors like air freight, sea freight and customs broking.
- New Zealand Certificate in Supply Chain Management (Level 5) (1 semester online or partly online, part-time available): This qualification has been designed by the industry, for the industry and is perfect for you if you're working in, or planning to work in an operational decision making position in the field of supply chain management.
LAST UPDATED ON Apr 2, 2018