Translate to Your Language
Maritime Management Education & Maritime Short Courses at HSN Vestfold Campus
With a merger on January 1, 2016, Buskerud and Vestfold University College and Telemark University College together now knows as University College of Southeast Norway.The new institution is Norway’s second largest higher education institutions with 17,000 students and 1,500 staff. Academic disciplines include Business and Social Science, Technology and Engineering, Maritime Sciences, and, Health and Environmental Sciences.
HSN has eight campuses spread throughout the counties of Buskerud, Vestfold and Telemark in Norway. The University College of Southeast Norway plans to start issuing diplomas in March. HSN has particularly strong regional ties and a focus on applied research. All the programs are research-based, and students are involved in research projects from the early stages of their education.
Faculty of Technology and Maritime Sciences provides programs in all three cycles; from Bachelor’s to Master’s and a PhD. The programs are focusing on Micro and Nano Technology, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer and Systems Engineering, as well as Maritime Sciences. Research is especially strong in Micro and Nano Systems, as well as Systems Engineering.
Masters Degree Programs
- MSc in Maritime Management (Vestfold, English, 2 years): The Master of Science in Maritime Management is intended for students looking for management positions within the maritime industry, a highly international and globalized industry with a number of exciting challenges and opportunities.
- The program offers two alternative specializations, one technical and one commercial. The program focuses on key challenges and issues within the maritime industry. Some courses focus solely on the maritime industry, while other topics are more generic. The program also covers management and leadership skills. The main focus of the program will give you a broad understanding of topics that are specifically related to the maritime industry.
- PhD in Nautical Operations (Vestfold): The doctoral program trains qualified candidates for research, teaching, dissemination and innovation work, and other activities where there is a requirement for scientific insight and an operational maritime focus. Nautical operations is comprised of two disciplines - Nautical, which covers the navigation, maneuvering and transport of floating vessels, and operations, which indicates that the PhD program will focus on applied research to support, improve and develop the activities that are being implemented. The operational perspective includes both strategic, tactical and operational aspects. The operational aspects include the planning, implementation and evaluation of nautical operations.
- The doctoral program in Nautical Operations is a joint degree between - University College of Southeast Norway (HSN), Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL), Norwegian University of Science and Technology Alesund (NTNU), and Arctic University of Norway (UiT)
Maritime Short Courses
- Bridge Resource Management - according to STCW 2010 (4 days): The course will provide opportunities for delegates to consider their role in the working environment and offer a range of tools and techniques improving their performance in non-technical skills. Extensive use of advanced Kongsberg simulators gives the delegates opportunities to practice and demonstrate the bridge resource management skills that are developed throughout the course.
- MARIS ECDIS900 (1 day): MARIS is a major international supplier of ECDIS systems and there is a great need for familiarization training. The aim of the course is to provide a thorough introduction to MARIS ECDIS900 and possibly MDS.
- Seismic RAS course including BRM/ERM: 5 days unique Seismic specific RAS (Replenishment At Sea) course with BRM and ERM all according to STCW 1978 with amendments. Course development is also approved by DNV (ISO 9001:2008) and Norwegian Costal Authorities.
- TECDIS ECDIS (1 day): Tis course is offered in cooperation with FURUNO Norway (TELKO), as familiarisation training for TECDIS ECDIS. FURUNO is a major international supplier of ECDIS systems and there is a great need for familiarization training. The aim of the course is to provide a thorough introduction to TECDIS ECDIS.