Translate to Your Language
Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture, Shipbuilding, Ocean Engineering, Offshore Engineering and Marine Transportation Engineering programs in Istanbul, Turkey
Established in 1773, Istanbul Technical University (Turkish İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi - ITU) is one of the oldest and prestigious technical universities located at Sarıyer/İstanbul, Turkey. ITU offers 39 graduate programs at 13 faculties, 39 postgraduate and doctoral programs at 6 institutes on five different campuses, all of them located in the heart of Istanbul. ITU has 360 laboratories and 13 research centers. With 23 engineering programs accredited by ABET Accreditation, ITU is the world’s leader among universities.
Students participating in International Exchange Graduate Programs complete a part of their education at one of the partner universities in the USA and receive a dual diploma. ITU offers a number of double major programs and is the top university in Turkey providing a broad range of Erasmus exchange programs with more than 900 international agreements. ITU is ranked 108th worldwide and 1st nationwide in the field of engineering or technology by World University Rankings in 2009.
ITU is the cradle of science, industry and technology conducting over 200 R&D projects in the scope of ARI Teknokent. In cooperation with the entrepreneurship ecosystem ITU Seed, the university provides support to students-entrepreneurs. ITU Maritime faculty was founded in 1884 and it is one of the youngest faculties of ITU. Undergraduate and graduate education is offered and the ITU Faculty of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering is the pioneering and leading faculty in its field.
Academic & Training Programs
Merchant Marine Programs
- BSc in Maritime Transportation Management Engineering (English, 4 years - Istanbul Technical University (ITU) and SUNY Maritime College Joint Program): Fall term of the first year is studied at ITU and spring term is at SUNY Maritime College. In the summer semester of the first year, the first open sea training is given in SUNY Maritime’s the training vessel for 2 months. The fall and spring semesters of the second year will be studied at SUNY Maritime College and in the summer term of the second year, second open sea training is again given in SUNY Maritime’s the training vessel for 2 months. The fall semester of the third year is studied at ITU. Open sea training for spring and summer semesters of the third year is given in national/international merchant ships for 8 months on a salary basis. Education in fall and spring semesters of the fourth year is studied at ITU. Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive an undergraduate diploma both from ITU and SUNY Maritime College.
- Marine Engineering Program (4 years): Graduates receive ITU Maritime Faculty Marine Engineering License Diploma after 1 year English Preparation and 4 years license education in the Marine Engineering Department. They can have job in Turkish or foreign flagged ships as Marine Engineer (3rd Engineer). Then, at the end of the sea experience duration determined by administration they have 2nd Engineer and Chief Engineer certificates by exam. Students have practical lectures in M/V SİSMİK-1 training/laboratory ship, Engine Room Simulator, Fire Fighting Training Center, Training Pool and Laboratories.
Naval Architecture & Engineering Programs
- BS in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (English & Turkish mix, 4 years): Continue the unique Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering program in Turkey with emphasis on life-long learning and continuous development applied to education and research. This program aims to achieve an understanding of fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering coupled with advanced skills to design, manufacture and use marine/offshore structures and systems using modern decision making and analysis methods. This program is accredited by ABET.
- BS in Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering (English & Turkish mix, 4 years): Pioneer the Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering education in Turkey by maintaining a sustainable education program consisting not only of contemporary design and manufacturing technique. ITU Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Program is accredited by ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission
Graduate and Research Programs
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Graduate Programs (Masters Degree & Ph D): This is a graduate program under the Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, provides training in master and doctorate level. Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Program, within the scope of design, development and production of all kinds of ships, other marine vehicles and machinery, offers a research and application oriented graduate level education.
- Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Graduate Programs (Masters Degree & Ph D): This is a graduate program under the Department of Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering, provides training in master and doctorate level. This is Turkey's only Ship and Marine Technology Engineering with emphasis on continuous development for lifelong learning, training and research. This training program aims to provide students with the skills of designing, producing and using marine structures and systems with modern analysis and decision making methods besides mathematics, science and engineering bases.
- Offshore Engineering Graduate Programs (Masters Degree Thesis & Non Thesis Options): This is a graduate program under the Department of Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering, provides training in only at master level.