Translate to Your Language
Merchant Marine, Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Maritime Business & Transportation, Logistics, Coastal Engineering Education and Research in Izmir, Turkey
Established in 1982, Dokuz Eylül University (Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi - DEU) is a a public university located at Izmir, Turkey. With over 65,000 students and over 3,000 academic staff, and attained a goal of continuous development in education, research and practice through the ISO 9001 2000 Quality Management System certificate for several faculties since 2003. DEU has 14 faculties, 10 institutes and graduate schools, 3 schools, 1 conservatory, 7 vocational schools, 54 research centers making a total of 89 academic institutions.
The university offers various programs in Maritime Business, Marine Engineering, Merchant Marine, Logistics, Marine Tourism, Naval Architecture and similar programs in Izmir. Those who are interested in research or Thesis based programs can find a number of programs in the maritime and logistics sector. Some of the programs in Maritime are available as a joint degree with Maine Maritime Academy, USA.
Dokuz Eylul University also offers double degree programs and in some programs in the Faculty of Business and the Maritime Faculty. Department of Marine Transportation Engineering uses a world standard maritime training center on the main campus as well as the Sea Training Center in Urla Izmir to carry out the academic and private courses.
Academic & Training Programs
Merchant Marine Programs
- BSc in Marine Engineering (English, 4 years): Dokuz Eylul University Maritime Faculty is specialized in undergraduate in the field of, Marine Engineering as well as in preparing engineers for the merchant fleet within the context of maritime related interests of Turkey and the philosophy of total quality, safety, security and environment management. Department is located in Tinaztepe and Urla campuses. Curriculum covers IMO STCW 2010 A-III/1 and A-III/2 fields. The graduates have the right to sit for the Oceangoing Engineer Officer exam held by the Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications. This program is also available as joint degree program with Maine Maritime Academy.
- BSc in Marine Transportation Engineering (English, 4 years): Department is located in Tinaztepe and Urla campuses. Curriculum covers IMO STCW 2010 A-II/1 and A-II/2 fields. The graduates have the right to sit for the Oceangoing Watchkeeping Officer exam held by the Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications. Graduates of Department of Marine Transportation Engineering are employed in a wide range of positions in both the private and public sectors. This program is also available as joint degree program with Maine Maritime Academy.
Maritime Business & Logistics Programs
- BSc in Maritime Business Administration (English, 4 years): Its curriculum covers such main fields as Business Administration, Law, Basic and Professional Maritime Studies, Maritime Business, Logistics and Transportation. This program is also available as joint degree program with Maine Maritime Academy.
- BSc in Logistics Management (English, 4 years): Department is located at Tinaztepe Campus. Curriculum covers Business, Logistics and Transport Management fields.
Maritime - Graduate Programs
- M.Sc. in Coastal Engineering (30% English, 2 years): The Coastal Engineering Program (CE) provides with knowledge and skill of fundamental concepts about coastal / marine processes, design and construction of coastal / marine structures, and satisfying the abilities to have active roles in planning, construction and management of coastal / marine structures. The program also provides multidisciplinary research opportunities with other Marine Technology and Marine Sciences programs of the Institute.
- M.Sc. in Naval Architecture (30% English, 2 years): The program provides thorough training in shipbuilding and design of touring boats, many of the ship from the container ships with the size of fishing vessels to the size of a large oil tanker and the ship basin, including the main machinery.
Maritime Business & Logistics - Graduate Programs
- MSc in Maritime Business Administration (English, 2 years): The program aims to educate, improve and expertise its students who will work in the land side of maritime businesses, teach them the philosophy of science. The graduates of the program will be able to carry out scientific researches and can be employed as middle or top level managers in maritime organizations both in public and private sector.
- MSc in Logistic Management (English, 2 years): The aim of the Logistics Management Master's Program is to provide the logistics industry with logistics management professionals well - equipped with logistics, supply chain and transport related knowledge, skills and attitudes, enabling them to carry out research and/or offer services both nationally and internationally.
- M.Sc. in Marine Transportation Systems Engineering (30% English, 2 years): Maritime Transportation Systems Engineering Master program plays leadership role in the planning, application and management of the marine transport ability of maritime companies in global markets by integrating the fields of engineering, logistics, transportation, machinery, environmental and marine technologies engineering.
- M.Sc. in Logistics Engineering (30% English Thesis & Non Thesis Options, 2 years): Due to its multidisciplinary character, the program consists of a total of twenty two academicians from such disciplines as Maritime Business Management, Industrial Engineering, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Law, Environmental Engineering, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mathematics, Business, City and Regional Planning, Electrics and Electronics Engineering.
- MSc in Maritime Security, Safety and Environmental Management (Thesis Option, 2 years):Maritime Security, Safety and Environmental Management is aproject based program and prepares managers for maritime industry within the context of quality, safety, security and environment management.
Marine Tourism Programs
- MA in Maritime / Marine Tourism (2 years, full-time OR distance learning, 1.5 years): The program aims to educate, improve and expertise its students who will work in the land side of marine tourism, teach them the philosophy of science.
Part Time / Distance Graduate Programs
- MSc in Maritime Security, Safety and Environmental Management (Non Thesis Option, 1.5 years, evening):Graduates of Master of Science in Maritime Security, Safety and Environmental Management without Thesis are employed in positions related to their mastery as managers of shipping, sea craft and off shore platforms, in management positions of marina, port or other similar coastal facilities, or as designers and more.
- MSc in Logistics and Maritime Transport (evening, 1.5 years): The overall aim of the logistics and maritime transport masters programs is to provide the logistics and maritime transport industry with prospective managers equipped with the knowledge, skills and competencies required by the logistics and maritime transport industry.
- Master`s Degree in Marine Tourism and Yacht (evening, 1.5 years): The program aims to educate, improve and expertise its students who will work in the land side of maritime tourism and yatch master, teach them the philosophy of science.
Maritime Research Programs
- PhD in Coastal Engineering (4 years)
- PhD in Naval Architecture (4 years)
- PhD in Maritime Security, Safety and Environmental Management (4 years)
- PhD in Maritime Business Administration (4 years)
Training Programs for the Maritime Industry
- All STCW Courses
- BRM-Bridge Resources Management
- ERM-Engine Resources Management
- Maritime Resource Management
- Ship Handling
- Cargo Handling
- Basic and Advanced Maritime Pilotage Training
- RADAR / ARPA RADAR
- Ice Navigation
- Turkish Strait Safe Passage Training