First Cycle Degree (Undergraduate) Program in Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering in Trabzon-Surmene, Turkey
Founded in 1955, Karadeniz Technical University (KTU) is a public research university the main campus located at Trabzon, Turkey. KTU is one the oldest universities in turkey and offers several technical and vocational education and training programs through its schools and institutes. The university consists of 17 faculties, four schools, one conservatory, seven graduate schools, 12 vocational schools, and 28 research and application centers.
With over 60000 students from 81 provinces of Turkey and many different countries, KTU is also one of the largest universities in Turkey. The Surmene Faculty of Marine Sciences is located in Surmene at the Muammer Dereli Campus. The Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering department, founded in 1996, as Deck department, aims at training students in master mariner education and maritime studies.
The education in the Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering department is carried out according to the regulations of International Maritime Organization (IMO). The modern campus at Trabzon-Surmene has all the facilities and equipment such as full mission bridge simulator, GMDSS simulator, ECDIS simulator, Tanker simulator, Engine Room simulator, and also navigation, seamanship, safety and computer laboratories. Also the dormitory at the campus has a capacity of 130 students.
Maritime Degree Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering (Full-time, 4 years): The aim of this department is to educate mariners in cadet, officer, captain and engineer professions for the maritime industry. ECTS credits are awarded to a student only upon successful completion of the course year. Progression from one year to the next is determined by the course regulations.
- The students who have successfully completed all of the thought courses of the program with 240 ECTS credits, achieved a CGPA of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and had a pass grade from the Professional placement period and the report prepared therein are given Bachelor's Degree
- Recognition of prior learning is at the beginning stage in the Turkish Higher Education System and is available to the maritime students as well.
- The graduates have many opportunities of employment in a varitey of state and private maritime companies. The students, which are graduated, are working in a variety of industries and companies such as port, ship management and on board commercial ships.
- High school diploma,
- National University Entrance and Placement Exam (ÖSS)
- English proficiency (500 from TOEFL / 6 from IELTS)
- Seafarer Health Certificate
- Physical competency exam and Interview
LAST UPDATED ON July 23, 2018