Translate to Your Language
Boat Handling Courses and Commercial Maritime Operations Qualifications in Lakes Entrance (SEAMEC), Victoria
Located in Victoria - Australia with 10 campuses from Chadstone in Melbourne’s outer East across the state to Lakes Entrance, Federation Training was established after an amalgamation of two TAFE colleges, Advance TAFE and Gipps TAFE. Together these TAFE colleges had over 85 years of experience in training students in Victoria. Federation Training has a variety of courses from Pre-apprenticeships, Apprenticeships and Traineeships, to Certificates, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas.
Students can also study a Federation University degree at Federation Training, with flexible pathway options that take you from Diploma to Bachelor Degree in just 2-3 years. The Lakes Entrance (SEAMEC) Campus attracts students from all over Australia keen to hone their maritime and recreational boating skills at fully licensed facilities. Positioned on the waterfront in East Gippsland, the Lakes Entrance Campus is the perfect training ground for quick and easy access to the open water.
Federation Training also offers a variety of scholarships to ensure students can access a quality education and have the opportunity to get hands on and develop real skills and experience in the industry of their choice.
- Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand) (5 days, full-time): This qualification is suitable for people working in entry level positions in the maritime industry as a General Purpose Hand on deck or in the engine room. Certification will require achievement of the MAR10313 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal) and an approved first aid certificate.
- Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) (2.5 weeks, full-time): This Certificate of Competency allows the holder to operate a commercial vessel up to 12 meters in length without passengers within sheltered waters with a power restriction of 100 kW (126 hp) for inboard powered vessels and unlimited power for outboard powered vessels.
- Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) (4 weeks, full-time): This course fulfils some of the requirements for an application for a Certificate of Competency as a Coxswain Grade 1 NC. This Certificate of Competency allows the holder to operate a vessel up to 12 meters in length within 15 nautical miles of the mainland coast. A power restriction of 500kW for inboard engines and unlimited power for outboard engines also applies.
- Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver - Grade 3 Near Coastal) (2 weeks, full-time): This course fulfils some of the requirements for an application for a Certificate of Competency as a Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 NC. This Certificate of Competency allows the holder to act as Chief Engineer onboard a commercial vessel within the EEZ with a power restriction of 500kW for inboard engines and unlimited power for outboard engines. The holder can also act as Second Engineer within certain limitations.
- Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master Up to 24 Meters Near Coastal) Master Class 5 (4 weeks, full-time): This Certificate of Competency allows the holder to command a vessel less than 24 meters in length up to 200nm off the coast of Australia and be Chief Mate of vessels with certain limitation
- Certificate IV in Maritime Operations (Master Up to 35 Meters Near Coastal) Master Class 4 (4 weeks, full-time): Training for experienced mariners wishing to gain their Certificate of Competency as a Master <35m NC (Near Coastal). The Master <35m NC CoC allows the holder to command a vessel less than 35 meters in length up to 200 Nm off the coast or a vessel up to 80 meters in length up to 15nm of the mainland coast of Australia and be Chief Mate of vessels with certain limitations.
Short Marine Courses
- GMDSS Revalidation (3 days, full-time): AMSA approved course for persons wishing to revalidate their Australian GMDSS GOC Certificate.
- GMDSS GOC (10 days, full-time): AMSA approved course for persons wishing to gain a GMDSS General Operators Certificate.
- Small Boat Handling (1 day): Designed to give students confidence, the course covers launching the boat, operating it safety within the waters of the Gippsland Lakes system and then putting it safely back onto the trailer.
- Shipboard Safety Skill Set: Elements of Shipboard Safety training provides students with the basic skills to work in the marine industry. Topics include survival techniques, abandon ship drills, Occupational Health and Safety in the maritime workplace, and firefighting. Instruction takes the form of classroom learning and extensive practical activities utilizing indoor pools and the waterways of the Gippsland Lakes.
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 12, 2017