Certification And Training In Shipping & Shipbroking
Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers ANZ (ICSANZ), the Australia and New Zealand Branch of The Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers in UK was founded in 1998. Geographically the Branch covers a huge area from members of the Committee spread from Fremantle in The West, Launceston (Tasmania) in the South and Auckland in the East, including Melbourne and Sydney as major area of members in between. The membership are employed in a wide variety of commercial shipping including practicing brokers and employees in shipping company offices (liner and bulk), Charterer's offices, and Government Departments.
In the education arena, there has been a Distance Learning Center for some years and has a steady stream of students sitting in two centers, Melbourne and Auckland. Most students study under TutorShip mode (distance learning) but a limited face to face training modeled on London is also available. There is a very successful series of industry seminars on topical matters in both Sydney and Melbourne while the New Zealand Chapter offers the "Understanding Shipping" course.
TutorShip is the Institute's Distance Learning Centre (DLC) that is designed to be flexible enough to accommodate working students wherever they may be in the world. Study by correspondence is an ideal method of learning for those involved in the busy and demanding atmosphere of shipping. The TutorShip courses are written by specialists and structured in such a way that the student may start the course at any time and study at his or her own pace.
Why become a member of Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers? - Please read our blog
ICS Qualifications & Training
- ICS Foundation Diploma: The ICS Foundation Diploma is principally intended for those who are new to the industry. The Foundation Diploma (FD) comprises just two subjects: Introduction to Shipping and one of the Group 2 subjects of the students’ choice.
- ICS Advanced Diploma: The Advanced Diploma has been designed as a stepping stone into full professional qualification and suits those who have some industry knowledge. Like the Foundation Diploma, the Advanced Diploma is a recognised and respected qualification. It involves taking the ICS benchmark paper Shipping Business plus one other subject from the list of Optional Papers (Group 2 or Group 3 subjects) of the ICS syllabus.
- Professional Qualifying Examinations: The Professional Qualifying Examination (PQE) provides a thorough understanding of shipping business for the ambitious professional and all successful candidates should go on to be Members and eventually Fellows of the Institute.
- TutorShip: TutorShip is the trademark name for the distance learning program of Institute Teaching Centre (ITC) that was developed to provide individual tutoring to students wishing to sit the ICS examinations. The Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) Branch is an approved ITC, delivering the ‘International Tutorship‘program.
- For more Information on the above programs, please visit our ICS UK section
Chartering Course and Workshop
- Australia/New Zealand Branch Chartering course is aimed at all those involved in the supply chain of raw materials/bulk cargoes and who would like to know more or expand their knowledge of the commercial shipping industry with its particular emphasis on chartering, ship operations and post-operational matters eg claims, legal and financial administration.
- Session 1: The role of the broker and associated practical matters in broking& Shipping markets, indices and the principles of the freight derivatives market.
- Session 2: Chartering practice, types of charters etc. & Charter parties with a focus on specific terms and clauses.
- Session 3: Important terms used in charter-parties & Practical voyage estimating and related matters
- Session 4: Legal regimes that apply to commercial shipping; An overview of marine insurance and its application to owners and charterers; & Practical matters in a shipping office function including an overview of lay-time and claims.
Other Maritime Courses
- Understanding Shipping: For the new-comers to the maritime industry or for those who would like to break into this industry, Understanding Shipping is your introduction and the ideal start to your professional development. The New Zealand Chapter administers the Understanding Shipping course which is separate to the courses offered through the DLC.
- Maritime World Explained: This extensive one-day course provides a comprehensive introduction to the shipping industry and is an excellent way to enhance your knowledge of it. It provides a valuable insight that enhances individual understanding, which in turn improves the quality of service you offer to your employer or your clients.
ICS, United Kingdom
Founded in 1911, Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) is an internationally recognized professional body in the maritime arena and it represents shipbrokers, ship managers and agents throughout the world. As a major provider of education and training, the ICS sets and examines the syllabus for membership, providing the shipping industry with highly qualified professionals.
With 24 branches in key shipping areas, 3,500 individuals and 120 company members, the Institute's membership represents a commitment to maintaining the highest professional standards across the shipping industry. As part of a professional body, members can enjoy many benefits and a number of opportunities which enhance their career in the shipping industry. Read More..
Last updated: Mar 6, 2017