Translate to Your Language
Nautical Sciences and Marine Engineering Education & Maritime and Commercial Yatching Courses in Antwerp, Belgium
Founded in 1800 during the Napoleonic era, The Antwerp Maritime Academy (Hogere Zeevaartschool Antwerpen) offers Nautical Sciences and Marine Engineering education and other marine training programs in Belgium and is the only one in the country. The academy also participates in the Erasmus program and other projects around the world. All the programs are STCW compliant.
The Academy is fully equipped with state-of-the-art didactic equipment, laboratories and workshops including simulators for cargo handling, propulsion, marine communications, and ship navigation with a well equipped library. Apart simulators, students take part in training on board commercial merchant marine or dredging vessels during holidays.
The language of instruction is Dutch and French with instructions for a certain number of subjects are avaible in English in the 4th year (second semester) of the Nautical Sciences program. So proficiency in Dutch or French is a prerequisite for all the programs except the Ph.D. and short courses.
Education & Training Programs
Education & Research Programs
- Nautical Sciences (4 years): The program consists of two cycles. At the end of the first cycle (3rd year), students receive a Bachelors degree and at the end of the second cycle (4th year) they receive a Masters degree in Nautical Sciences. Students completing the Bachelors degree in Nautical Sciences are awarded the STCW Operational Level (STCW II/1) and the STCW Management Level (STCW II/2) at the end of the Masters program.
- Marine Engineering (3 years): Students receive a Bachelors degree after 3 years of training and are awarded the STCW Management Level (STCW III/2).
- Associate Degree of Ph.D. in Nautical Sciences: The research areas include Safety and health, Maritime transport, Marine environmental problems, Maritime energy problems, Maritime techniques, and Human resources and communication.
Maritime Training (Short Courses)
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Advanced Fire Fighting REFRESHER
- Basic Tanker Training (Oil, Chemicals and Gas)
- Basic Training for Ships Operating in Polar Waters
- Crisis & Crowd
- Dynamic Positioning
- Elementary First Aid
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- GMDSS GOC
- GMDSS ROC
- High Voltage Safety Management Level
- High Voltage Safety Operational Level
- Medical Care
- Medical Care REFRESHER
- Medical First Aid
- MRM (excl. C&C)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Personal Survival Techniques REFRESHER
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (O/T Fast Rescue Boats)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (O/T Fast Rescue Boats) REFRESHER
- Rating forming part of a Navigational Watch
- Security Awareness - designated security duties
- Security Awareness - for all
- Ship Maneuvering and Handling
- SSO/CSO - Ship/Company Security Officer
Commercial Yachting (Licensing)
- Officer up to 200 nautical miles out of the coast (officer 200’)
- Master up to 200 nautical miles out of the coast (master 200’)
- Officer unlimited
- Master unlimited