Specialized Masters Degree Program in Yacht Design in Milan, Italy
Founded by Politecnico di Milano, POLI.design operates in the field of design acting as an interface between universities, companies, and professional organizations, institutions and bodies. It develops training programs for young graduates and professionals, as well as training programs for companies that are closely focused on innovation. It operates from the perspective of internationalization, establishing partnerships of purpose with universities, schools, bodies, institutions, enterprises, and companies on a case by case basis.
POLI.design is based in Milan, a universally known and recognised international centre of excellence for design. The permanent structures, cultural institutions, fairs and showrooms, publishing industry, schools, displays, exhibitions, and events that the city has to offer are numerous and contribute to creating a culturally lively and dynamic climate that can enrich professional and training courses, providing a broader experience of design in all its most up-to-date forms, from the perspective of constant innovation.
POLI.design offers first and second level Specialized Masters of one year, including an internship period of one year in companies, businesses or professional firms. The classroom training foresees a learning mix of class lessons, seminars and design workshops with contributions and external inputs from the world of business and the professional sector.
Academic & Training Programs
- Specialized Master in Yacht Design of the Politecnico di Milano (1 year): The Politecnico di Milano Design School offers this Specializing Master jointly with POLI.design, founded by Politecnico di Milano. The program was founded to meet the strong demand for training in the pleasure-craft segment. The yacht’s market requires professionals with specialist post-university training.
- The program provides the tools required to handle the process of designing and building sailing and motor craft. This Master’s degree program provides the skills needed to manage the design and construction process of a sailboat or a motoryacht.
- Students attending the program will find employment at yacht design practices or yards and in ancillary industries. The potential fields of professional involvement are: technical office; engineering; project management; production control; quality control; fitting-out; styling; customization; after sales.
- The Specialized Master has an overall duration of one year divided in frontal lesson and internship, which will allow students to reach a total of 60 CFU equivalent to 60 ECTS. The internship has a duration of approximately 3 months.
- The internship is required, lasts three months, and is carried out at leading design studios and shipyards. It enables students to transfer skills acquired during the course to a real-life design or production context and to deal with the world of shipbuilding. The training project to be carried out during the internship is agreed upon by the Politecnico di Milano tutor and the company mentor.
- The Master in Yacht design is intended for graduates in Architecture, Engineering and Industrial Design, and in related economic disciplines, and to applicants with equivalent qualifications. The maximum number of students admitted to the Specializing Master is 30.