RYA Sailing and Yacht Training Programs & Other Courses in Mooloolaba Marina, Queensland, Australia & Online
Sunshine Sailing Australia's sailing school is recognized as one of Australia’s leading power plus sail training and experience providers. Offering RYA & YA sailing courses as well as local and national sailing race events such as the Rolex Sydney to Hobart, the Audi Hamilton Island Race Week and the Brisbane to Gladstone. Sunshine Sailing Australia is located at The Mooloolaba Marina 33-45 Parkyn Parade on the edge of the Mooloolah River, meters from the sea and 100 paces from the best beach in Queensland.
Sunshine Sailing Australia also offer sailing adventures; skippered local yacht cruises for introductions to sailing, 3- 5 day getaways, 6 and 12-day offshore trips for the more experienced and ocean sailing adventures to Lord Howe.
The sailing fleet includes Cruising Yacht Eressea; Keel Boats J/24 & Elliot 6; and Dinghy Fleet Vagabond 14, Hobie 16 & Laser.If you are a keen to start sailing or even if your already an experienced sailor looking to build on your skills, Sunshine Sailing Australia is exactly what you're looking for.
The school is both Yachting Australia (YA) and Royal Yachting Association (RYA) recognized teaching establishment.
RYA Sailing/Yachting Courses
- RYA Start Yachting (2 days): The RYA Start Yachting course is an introduction to sailing larger cruising yachts, essential to build a solid and correct foundation on which to develop your knowledge of sailing. This course can be used towards the RYA Competent Crew course, which then can be competed with two extra weekends or one three day weekend.
- RYA Competent Crew (5 days): The RYA Competent Crew is an essential introductory course for both the complete beginner and those who have some experience of either dinghy or keelboat sailing or cruising. By the end of the RYA Competent Crew course the successful Competent Crew will have sufficient knowledge and skill to be a useful and able crew member.
- RYA Essential Navigation Course (online): The RYA Essential Navigation course is aimed at a wide audience, including anyone new to sailing, motor boating, fishing, diving, experienced dinghy or keelboat sailors. This online course is the perfect stepping-stone to the more in-depth RYA Day Skipper shore-based course, or to courses on the water such as the Powerboat, Start Yachting or Competent Crew.
- RYA Day Skipper Theory (5 days, shorebased): The RYA Day Skipper Shore based course is an elementary course that requires no previous knowledge, but some practical experience is desirable. This course will give you all of the navigation and theoretical knowledge required moving on towards the RYA Day Skipper practical course.
- RYA Day Skipper Practical (5 days): The RYA Day Skipper and Bare Boat practical course you teach the essential practical skippering and sailing techniques and is also internationally recognized as a level of requirement for bare boat chartering. Completion of a RYA Day Skipper Shorebased theory course beforehand will greatly enhance the value of this practical course.
- RYA Coastal Skipper Theory (5 days): The RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster shore based course is an advanced navigation course for those who wish to take the RYA Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence either Coastal or Offshore.
- RYA Coastal Skipper Practical (5-7 days): The RYA Coastal Skipper practical is the course for more advanced skippers who have a practical ability to RYA Day Skipper level and knowledge up to RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster shorebased standard.
- RYA Yachtmaster Training & Exam (5 days): Sunshine Sailing Australia offers professional training to become Master of Yachts 200 Tons in conjunction with the Royal Yachting Association (RYA). The scheme is accredited by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and is emulated throughout the world. The certificates of competence are required by commercial skippers on sailing and motor vessels up to 200 gross tonnes irrespective of length, and as entry to Megayacht qualifications. Additionally, many recreational sailors take RYA Yachtmaster exams as a measure of their competence. AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) have formally recognized RYA qualifications as acceptable for commercial use in Australian Territorial waters on commercially registered sailing vessels. This recognition is achieved by AMSA EX18 - Marine Safety (Sail) Exemption 2014.
- RYA Ocean Theory (5 days): This course is designed for those who aspire to blue water cruising and ocean crossings and covers passage planning, both gnomonic (high latitudes) and mercator charts, yacht management, remote sailing, communications and electronic navigation just to name a few. The Ocean shorebase course is a must for those seriously planning offshore adventures.
- RYA Powerboat - Level Two (2 days): The RYA’s National Powerboat Scheme is for those wanting to drive small open powerboats such as RIBs (rigid inflatable boats), sports boats and small launches.
- RYA Cruising Instructor Training (5 days): RYA instructors and training centers are all part of our global standard of excellence. You carry with you our international credibility and backing, as do the RYA qualifications you will be awarded.
- RYA Radar (1 day): The RYA Radar course is to give an understanding of the use of radar in small boats as an aid to navigation and for collision avoidance.
- RYA Diesel Engine (1 day): The aim of the RYA Diesel Engine course is to prevent machinery breakdown at sea. If you do have mechanical problems this course will teach you how to get going again.
- Radio (1 day): The Sunshine Coast Sailing & Marine Academy will be conducting an Australian Communications Authority Marine Operators Course and Examination. On satisfactory completion you will be issued with your MROCP/LROCP certificate.
- Marine First Aid (1 day): This Marine First Aid course is mandatory for racing yachtsmen and highly recommended for all who venture offshore under power or sail.
- RYA/World Sailing Offshore Safety Course (2 days): The RYA/World Sailing Offshore Safety Course is critical for skippers and crew wanting to acquire or update survival skills, especially those seeking to obtain their basic sea survival for small craft.
- Whitsunday Skippered Charter (5 days): A great opportunity to explore the magnificent islands and waters of the Whitsundays. Under the guidance of an RYA Offshore instructor its up to you where you go. 5 days on the water in the Hanse 400e, you have 3 large double cabins and all the gear to have a great break on the water PLUS get an RYA qualification at the same time.
- Half Day Discover Sailing Experience: Sail along the coast from Mooloolaba, and Alexandra Headland to Mudjimba Island. If weather permits it’s time for a quick swim and lunch before we sail the shoreline, returning to the safe haven of the Mooloolah River and the Mooloolaba.
- Full Day Discover Sailing Experience: Prepare your lunch and beverages for a full day sailing. Off to sail the Sunshine Coast’s best shorelines. Head north to famous Noosa Beach to Laguna Bay before setting sail back to the Mooloolaba. Or alternatively, sail south along the coast passing Kawana & Wurtulla towards the beautiful beaches of Caloundra.
Last Updated: Jan 10, 2020