Specialist Training Programs in Marine Environment, PMSC, Marine Accident and Incident Investigation, Risk Management, & Other Training Courses In Southampton
Founded in 1950 as a government research station, ABPmer is a leading marine consultancy that has been advising clients and undertaking applied research and is known for its knowledge of the marine environment, technical ability and emphasis on service excellence. Located in Southampton, ABPmer knowledge has been applied to projects and imparted specialist marine environmental advice to developers, industry, managers and regulators across the globe. ABPmer is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Associated British Ports Holdings Ltd, which also owns Associated British Ports (ABP), the largest port operator in the UK.
Since its inception ABPmer was specialized in managing and developing the marine environment in harmony with the natural system and processes therein. The knowledge and technical ability has been applied to offshore wind developments, harbor deepenings, coastal defense schemes, marina berths, waterside power stations and tidal lagoons as well as to assist decision makers in fisheries, marine aggregates and marine planning.
ABPmer also share their extensive knowledge and experience through professional training courses and conferences. All courses are delivered by their professional staff and can take place either in our 50-seater seminar room in Southampton or at client offices.
ABPmer Training Courses
- Marine Consents and Licensing Training (1 day): The Marine Consents and Licensing training builds knowledge and understanding of the UK marine planning and consenting regime to enable participants to fully engage with the process, regulators and wider stakeholders.
- Coastal and Marine GIS Training (3 days): Delivered by ABPmer’s experienced GIS consultants and GeoData’s GIS trainers, this course uses case studies and hands-on activities to show how marine and coastal datasets can be used to support decision making.
- Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC) Overview: The Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC) was developed in response to the need for the safe and efficient running of ports, the first edition of the PMSC was released in 2000. The course explores why the PMSC has become an essential part of safe port marine operations and management, covering organizational structure, obligations, duty holder responsibilities and marine activity control.
- PMSC - Internal Auditor Training (2 days): PMSC - Internal Auditor develops the necessary skills to assess and report on the conformance and implementation of a MSMS. Delivered by members of our experienced Maritime team, the two-day course provides an in-depth review of the PMSC and accompanying Guide to Good Practice on Port Marine Operations.
- Marine Accident and Incident Investigation Training (2 days): Our two-day training course delivers the core knowledge required to understand the cause factors leading to an accident, collate the required information and compile an investigation report with recommendations for improving safety.
- Marine Risk Management Training: This course provides a systematic framework for the categorization and control of marine risk.
- Duty Holder Training: The program includes a comprehensive overview of the latest editions of the PMSC and accompanying Guide to Good Practice on Port Marine Operations. It details the PMSC ‘Health Check’ compliance audits undertaken by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) along with an analysis of the recent adverse trends as published in the PMSC Health Check Trends.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Masterclass: Environmental Impact Assessment Masterclass develops knowledge of the project level EIA process from screening and scoping through to submission, including data and information needed to inform the assessment as well as mitigation measures and consulting obligations.