Maritime Business, Shipping & Transport, Marine Engineering, Maritime Operations and, Merchant Navy Programs at Solent and Warsash Maritime
Established in 2005, Solent University Southampton is a public university based in Southampton on the south coast of England in the UK and the second campus, Warsash Maritime School and Warsash Superyacht Academy is located on the eastern bank of the Hamble River overlooking Southampton Water. Incorporated as an independent higher education institution in 1989, the University traces its origins back in 1856. With over 18,000 students, Solent University scored three stars overall in 2017 QS World University Rankings and scored five stars each for teaching and inclusivity with four stars each for facilities and employability.
The Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering specializes in maritime business, yacht design and engineering. Southampton Solent university's maritime courses have been ranked among the best in the world. The university conducts undergraduate and post graduate level courses on Maritime Business, Supply chain management, Logistics and Maritime law.
The Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering facilities include Acoustics Laboratory, Advanced Manufacturing Laboratory, Fire School, Helicopter Underwater Escape Trainer, Liquid Cargo Operations Simulator (LICOS), Marine Engineering Workshops, Medical Training Center, Pier head and survival craft, Radio communications center, Seamanship center, Survey vessel, Towing tank, shiphandling center, to name a few.
Academic & Training Programs
Merchant Navy Foundation Degree Programs
- FdEng in Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering (2 years): This course will lead you to employment as a certified watchkeeping marine electro-technical officer on board a commercial (merchant) ship. This fully-sponsored training program is a must for those who wish to become a marine electro-technical officer in the Merchant Navy.
- FdEng in Marine Engineering (2 years): This program will lead you to employment as a certified watchkeeping engineering officer on board a commercial (merchant) ship. This fully-sponsored training program is a must for those who wish to become a marine engineer officer in the Merchant Navy.
- FdSc Marine Operations (2 years): This program will lead you to employment as a certified bridge watchkeeping officer on board a commercial (merchant) ship. This fully-sponsored training program is a must for those who wish to become a deck officer in the Merchant Navy.
Maritime Bachelor Degree Top-Up Programs
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Management (Top-Up, 1 year full time): This one-year top-up degree aims to fill the gap of knowledge of business and management practice amongst professional seafarers and produce graduates who are highly employable for their knowledge of both shipping and the maritime business. The course will suit serving seafarers who wish to enhance their academic and professional qualifications and who are looking to pursue shore-side career opportunities in the near future.
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Law (Top-up) (1 year full time): As part of the shipping and maritime business program, you will study as part of a large and diverse cohort of international students, giving you the chance to build an effective network of global professional connections – and benefit from a wide range of culturally and professionally diverse perspectives. This program is suited to applicants who wish to develop a better understanding of the practical application of maritime law within the shipping industry.
- BSc (Hons) International Logistics Management (Top-up) (1 year, full time): You will build a thorough and up-to-date foundation of skills in logistics and supply chain management, explore the processes involved in every step of the logistics and supply chain network, and learn to make decisions based on the latest theory and best practice from the industry. This degree is suited to students who have an interest in the world of international transport, shipping, ports and logistics.
Full Time Maritime Bachelor Degree Programs
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business (3 years): Those keen to pursue a career in the global maritime and shipping industry will benefit from this course. All aspects of business in a maritime context are covered, which will appeal to those wishing to work in ship management, ship finance or brokering, maritime law or logistics and supply chain management. This program is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).
- BSc (Hons) Shipping and Port Management (3 years): This course is well-suited to those who wish to work in shore-side operations within the global shipping and maritime industry. The course content is ideal for those who wish to gain broad business knowledge whilst specializing in shipping and port operations.
Full Time Postgraduate Degree Programs
- PG Diploma in International Trade and Maritime Law (1 year, full time): Specifically designed to meet the demands of the shipping industry, the course delivers essential knowledge of the legal frameworks at the heart of shipping claims, disputes and commercial relationships. This course is ideally suited to students working in the shipping industry who want to develop their understanding of how legal claims may arise within the context of international trade practice, and how marine disputes and liabilities are investigated and managed.
- MSc International Maritime Business (1 year full time): This Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) accredited course will enable maritime professionals or recent maritime or shipping graduates to progress their career or diversify into ship management or port operations/management.
- MSc International Shipping and Logistics (1 year full time): This master’s degree is suited to maritime professionals who wish to progress their shipping and logistics career, or for those with a business background who are looking to move into the global shipping or logistics industries. With a mix of theoretical and practical skills,the graduates are well equipped for careers in maritime business, logistics and/or supply chain management, either in the UK or internationally.
Online Masters Degree Program
- MSc Shipping Operations (2 years): This master’s degree is aimed at maritime professionals who wish to move into shore-based management roles. The distance learning delivery of the course also makes it ideal for currently serving seafarers to study wherever they are in the world and whenever they are able to. As a graduate of this course, you’ll possess a diverse range of skills. This can open up a range of opportunities in shipping management, port operations and even teaching.
Merchant Navy & Maritime Training
Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA) is a maritime training college and is part of Southampton Solent University.
- Please check the Warsash Maritime School section
Superyacht Training Programs
Warsash Superyacht Academy (WSA) is a joint initiative of Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA) and Southampton Solent University.
- Please check our Warsash Superyacht Academy section