Webinars in Boat related Writing, Video Presentation, Covering News Events, Contract & Legal Issues, Syndicating, Blogging, and more
Headquartered in Wilmette Illinois, Boating Writers International (BWI) is a professional organization consisting of writers, editors, publishers, photographers, broadcasters, public relations specialists and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry. Members include active marine journalists across the United States, Canada and Europe; associate members in public relations roles; and supporting members, such as marine manufacturers and service companies.
BWI activities include - Annual Writing Contest held in November and December which features 17 writing and electronic media submission categories resulting in $ 17,000 in awards; Panels and discussions; Communications efforts, including monthly newsletters; Partnerships with leading marine manufacturer associations; Writers directory online; Online forums; and, webinars, to name a few.
BWI has launched a new Scholarship Program designed to help young men and women enter the exciting world of boating journalism. Applications for the BWI Scholarship Fund which will honor undergraduate college students who demonstrate a passion for the field of boating media, may be downloaded at https://www.bwi.org/downloads/scholarship/BWI-Scholarship-App-19.pdf. Scholarship applications will be accepted through January 15, 2019.
BWI Training Programs
- Gain Work Outside Boating: How to Score Work Outside the Boating Industry. The idea isn’t merely on how to get more and different work, but specifically on how to grow your boating writing.
- Video Basics - Improving Your Presentations: This webinar covers cameras, audio, shooting techniques and editing.
- Re-purposing & Syndicating Writers’ Work: This program explains the online tool that helps freelancers syndicate their new or previously published content. This may be a way for writers to re-purpose some of their existing work and reach out to publications beyond the boating industry.
- Writer Contract & Legal Issues: This webinar addresses legal issues with a focus on contracts, specific clauses in contracts that affect writers and how to address them, concerns such as establishing legal liability corporations, copyright protection, and more.
- Conducting Successful News Events: This webinar is designed to bring writers and vendors together to improve press coverage of new marine products and boats.
- Drive Traffic with Social Media: This covers using Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, how to create and best use accounts with each social media site to promote a media outlet you work for or your own company, plus how to gauge whether your efforts are working.
- How to Start a Blog: The webinar covers domain name research and selection with Google tools; domain name registration and forwarding with GoDaddy; basic WordPress blog software setup; and introductory WordPress features, such as photo uploads, video uploads and widgets.