Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering Education at Webb Institute
Located in Glen Cove, NY on the Long Island Sound, Webb Institute is a unique, top-ranked undergraduate institution offering one academic option, a double major in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. It is also the only full-tuition scholarship private undergraduate program of its kind in the country.
The Webb Institute is a four-year, fully accredited engineering college that has specialized in naval architecture and marine engineering for the last 123 years. Founded in 1889 by prominent New York shipbuilder William H. Webb, the Institute has produced the nation's leading ship designers for over a century. Every Webb student receives a full-tuition scholarship founded by Mr. Webb and continued by the generous contributions of alumni/ae, friends of Webb, parents, corporations, and the United States Government.
At Webb Institute, students are taught and graded exclusively by professors, who are happy to answer questions and meet with students individually. The rigor of the 146 credit academic program, the real world experience of the paid internships in each year, and the relationships built through small classes, teamwork, a dedicated faculty, and industry networking make Webb graduates among the best practically trained engineering graduates in the country.
BS in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering: The only major, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, involves several engineering disciplines, including ship design and systems engineering; marine engineering; electrical engineering; mechanical engineering; and civil/structural engineering. During Winter Work Term, students work in the maritime industry - making Webb the only private college of naval architecture that provides a salaried work experience during each of the four years of study.
Curriculum & Paid Internships
- Naval Architecture
- Marine Engineering
- Ship Design
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Economics
- Senior Seminar
- Special Topic
- Engineering Visits
- Professional Society Involvement
- Ship/Boat Yard Trades Internship (Year1)
- Cadet/Observer Aboard Ship Internship (Year 2)
- Marine Industry Internship (Year 3)
- Marine Industry Internship (Year 4)
WEBB Institute Features
Life on the 26-acre beachfront estate is a rare combination of challenge, focus, and adventure. Some of what makes this life different is the size of the place - fewer than 100 students living, studying, working and playing together. Some of it is the time-tested honor code. And some of it is plain old alchemy: work and play merge at water's edge. In a sense, every day at Webb is a beach day. Webb students work hard - mastering advanced mathematics, building and testing models - and they play hard - tennis, sailing, basketball, soccer, and volleyball.
- Campus Location: The Academy is located in Glen Cove, New York on the Long Island Sound
- Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- Undergraduate Major Areas: Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Graduate Major Areas: Emergency Management and Facilities Management
- Co-ops/Internships: Four internships at the end of each year
- Student Body: 80 undergraduates
- Job placement: The job placement rate is 100 percent. Graduate-school placement is also high: Change Magazine has ranked Webb fifth in the nation as a source of empirical science PhDs
- Tuition: All students admitted to Webb receive a four-year, full tuition scholarship (not applicable to international students). Costs are limited to room, board, books, laptop and software.