USCG Captains Licensing and Endorsements, MROP Testing & Other Courses in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey
HQ at Lindenhurst NY, The Nautical School of Maritime Licensing (TNS or the Nautical School) prepares candidates for Captain’s License and more. Carefully selected course materials, hands-on experience and state-of-the-art facilities ensure that you learn in a comfortable, stress free and fun setting. The Nautical School also utilizes unique learning tools including online practice tests that you can take from home or anywhere with online access.
In addition, TNS provides an informational/reference CD containing the “Rules of the Road,” and a complete textbook created especially for the Nautical School curriculum. The Nautical School's faculty consists of professional licensed captains who currently work in the maritime industry and possess many years of teaching experience. The graduates, aside from the recognition gained by earning your Captain’s License can launch a career piloting pleasure boats and ferries, transport vessels and water taxis, plus more.
- OUPV (6-pack) Captain’s License: The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels License allows you to take up to six passengers for hire on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons/100 miles offshore. The license will allow you the opportunity to earn money on the water while doing something you love. Please note that Non U.S. Citizens may be restricted to undocumented vessels with a 5 net ton limit.
- Masters Upgrade: This is a 3-day course which upgrades the OUPV and allows you to take an unlimited number of passengers on inspected vehicles. Tonnage limitations, issued in 25-ton increments up to 100 tons, depend on your experience and sea time evaluation. A sailing endorsement also is required for operation of sailboats under this license.
- Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement: This 4-hour course enables the mariner to tow recreational vessels commercially. The endorsement allows the holder to engage in Commercial Assistance Towing for payment and is the one that all licensed captains working for Sea Tow and Tow Boat must have.
- License Renewal: The Nautical School is approved by the Coast Guard to teach a one day Renewal/Refresher Course for Deck Licenses.
- Marine Radio Operators Permit (MROP): The Marine Radio Operators Permit exams consist of basic operation and laws. Element 1 is the only element tested for this license. It consists of 24 questions from a pool of 144 questions. To pass you must successfully answer 18 of those questions from this testing element.
CPR & First Aid Course
- Adult CPR & First Aid: Required for both the OUPV and Master’s Upgrade Licenses, this course provides you with the information and skills necessary to provide basic emergency care until advanced medical personnel arrive to take over.
Boating Safety Course
- New York State Boating Safety Course: This class is strongly recommended for boaters of any age, and of any level of experience who want to keep their skills current and up to date.
LAST UPDATED ON Mar 5, 2018