USCG Approved Captains License Courses and Endorsements & Free NY Boating Safety Program in New York
Located in New York, NAV-ED Services Group offers captains license and endorsement programs for aspiring maritime professional in and around New York. The company also provides assistance through the application process at no additional charge. Assistance is provided to the graduates interested in New York State public vessel operator licenses. NAV-ED also provides a fast track program for Captain Candidates with busy schedules and family commitments.
NAV-ED has been selected to participate in the Return the Favor Veterans Discount Program in both Saratoga and Albany Counties. NAV-ED provides Captain Course discounts for active duty/veterans, members of law enforcement and firefighters. NAV-ED also promotes boater safety in partnership with the Great Sacandaga Lake Association (GSLA) on the Great Sacandaga and in the Capital District area.
NAV-ED schedule a combination of 4-hour evening classes with Saturday 8-hour daytime sessions which allow study time between most classes. The Option2 Captain course combines independent study with four 8-hour sessions and reduces travel time while providing interaction with other candidates.
Captains License Programs
- Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV): The OUPV license provides authority for operating a vessel with six or fewer passengers for hire. All examinations are administered locally.
- New Captain (Option2): The program includes 4 days of classroom instruction with independent study to be completed away from the classroom. The program limits classroom time but provides all of the requirements to satisfy the USCG requirements for the instructional component.
- New Captain (Option3) Cyber Program: This program provides online access to mastery examinations which are necessary for completion of the Captain course. The program maintains 4 days of classroom instruction with independent study and offers online mastery test evaluation.
- OUPV Upgrade to Master 100 Tons: Licensed Captains or those who have completed an OUPV course but have not applied for a license (within one year of OUPV course completion) may wish to upgrade to a Master (not to exceed 100 Tons) by taking the 24 hour course offered by NAV-ED.
- License Renewal (Not More Than 100 Gross Tons): NAV-ED Services Group can assist mariners renew their OUPV or Master licenses when they fail to complete the required 360 days sea experience during the license period.
- The Assistance Towing Endorsement can be issued to anyone with a mariner credential except Master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels and master or mate authorizing service on inspected vessels over 200 gross tons.
- An Auxiliary Sail Endorsement may be obtained by a holder of an OUPV or Master credential.
- New York State Safe Boating Course: The course is offered in a classroom setting and is currently provided tuition free to the Great Sacandaga Lake Association (GSLA). The NAV-ED course is provided by a NYS-certified instructor using NYS materials.
LAST UPDATED ON Jan 26, 2020