Translate to Your Language
Commercial Shipping Trainee Program & Danish Safety & Maritime Legislation Short Courses in Copenhagen
Based in Copenhagen and founded in 2012, Danish Shipping Academy is part of Danish Shipping which is a trade and employer organization for more than 40 shipowners and two offshore companies. Established in 1884 Danish Shipping has been working as a collective point for the Danish shipping industry and plays an important and active role in relation to the authorities and decision-makers nationally and internationally. The organization also has a permanent representation office in Bruxelles.
Danish Shipping Academy offers shipping trainees the best possible competences during their traineeships. Every year 35 to 40 trainees start at the academy and are from the member companies. Trainees are selected by individual companies and are paid during their traineeships. Danish Shipping's training department holds Safety and Health courses and Danish Maritime Legislation courses for foreign senior officers/masters in English for seafarers and offshore crew.
Danish Maritime Academy Flagship Program
- Commercial Shipping Program (2 years): Through the two years in the Commercial Shipping Program you will get a proper understanding of the financial and legal aspects in the shipping industry. Furthermore, you will get the necessary basic knowledge of shipping regulations, vessel technology and types of cargo and become certified in transportation of dangerous goods. You will also gain knowledge of appropriate negotiation techniques and proper preparation for business negotiations. Your awareness of both your own culture and the other cultures will be raised to enable you to adapt their behaviors and communication styles to build better relationships for effective working in an international environment. The Program is taught in English only. The Program includes three courses in Denmark and 24 webinars.
- The course includes introduction to Shipping and Maritime Law, Cultural Awareness/Business Relations, Maritime Economics and Ship Knowledge. The Commercial Shipping Program at the Danish Shipping Academy is a private nongovernmental approved education and do not earn ECTS points.
Danish Shipping Courses
- Safety and Health Course (3 days): The aim of the course is to teach the participants how they in practice and in cooperation with others can encourage a safe and healthy work environment by means of knowledge of codes of practice and exposures on the work environment.
- Danish Maritime Legislation Course for Foreign Senior Officers (1 day): The aim of the course is to obtain knowledge about Danish maritime legislation, cf. the educational requirements of the training program for courses in Danish shipping legislation for foreign senior officers except masters, version 2.0 of March 1 2009.
- Danish Maritime Legislation Course for Foreign Masters (4 days): The aim of the course is to obtain knowledge about Danish maritime legislation, cf. the educational requirements of the training program for courses in Danish shipping legislation, ship administration and working environment for foreign masters, version 2.0 of March 1 2009.
- Bunker course (4.5 days): The aim of the course is to get a solid understanding of the bunker industry from the refinery processes, oil physics, price mechanisms, safe handling, flowmeters, fuel treatment, ISO standards, etc. to how to handle claims.