Translate to Your Language
Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar), Navigation Assessor Course & Online CPD Program for Professionals and Members
Established in 1971 and headquartered in London, the Nautical Institute (NI) is an international representative body for maritime professionals provides a wide range of services to enhance the professional standing and knowledge of over 7000 members in over 110 countries. Nautical Institute also accredit a number of maritime technical training schemes.
The Nautical Institute offers a wide range of accreditation services, from being the sole recognized certification provider for Dynamic Positioning Training to providing one-off audits for compliance against a known standard. It has the capability to operate a full international certification scheme or to work on behalf of Flag Administrations as a designated authority.
The Institute is particularly well known for its wide range of specialist maritime books and guides. There are four levels of membership for qualified maritime professionals - Fellow (FNI), Associate Fellow (AFNI), Member (MNI), and Associate Member (AMNI).
Certification & CPD Programs
Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar))
- The award of Chartered status is a gold-standard for those who deserve the accolade of eminence. It will serve to recognize Master Mariners who have not only benefited the industry but have also improved their own professional capability and demonstrated a willingness to help others.
- To ensure the status of Chartered Master Mariner commands equivalent recognition and professional respect to other technical disciplines, the path to attaining Chartered status is designed to thoroughly test and prove those who would aspire to achieve it. Candidates should understand that not all who apply will be successful and that all application fees are non-refundable.
- Thereis no examination and the selection procedure is rigorous. Candidates will need to give details of two referees prepared to support their application. Membership of a professional body is not essential, but may help an applicant. If the application has been successful, a candidate will normally be told within 10 weeks of the interview.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Nautical Institute Online CPD Program: The Nautical Institute’s online CPD program consists of 4 stages - research, plan, record and reflect. These stages will help you develop your learning and knowledge, skills and competence beyond your initial qualification. The Nautical Institute provides CPD activity through a variety of services including - branch meetings and seminars, publications, and self study schemes.
- Navigation Assessor Course (2 days - at various locations worldwide): The course explores key issues and provide practical advice on - What defines an assessment, Improving safety and best practice, How to conduct the assessment with a systematic approach, and Preparing an effective report. This course is suitable for - Personnel requiring to demonstrate they hold a qualification to be able to conduct navigation audits stipulated in TMSA3 element 5 , Marine Consultants, Surveyors, Inspectors, Marine Managers, Superintendents, and Shipmasters preparing for navigation assessments.