USCG Approved Captain's License Program in Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska & St. Croix
Established in 1994 in St.Thomas USVI, The Captain School taught its first US Coast Guard approved course in the United States in 2000 after a two year review by the Coast Guard and has graduated over 5,000 students allowing mariners to apply for a Captain's License or what is now called USCG Merchant Mariner's Credential.
The Captain School is to provide a quality educational experience in the classroom and through demonstrations of practical competencies at entry and operational levels. Course offerings include: OUPV, Master, Upgrade to Master, Sailing, Towing, STCW Basic Safety Training, Crowd Control, Crisis Management and Security Officer-Vessel, Company, and Port Facility.
The curriculum is supported by a cadre of qualified instructors approved by the US Coast Guard who bring a wealth of practical experience to the educational environment. Upon successful completion (attendance and passing required exams), student will receive a diploma from The Captain School. This diploma is then sent to the U.S. Coast Guard REC, along with the USCG Application to receive the USCG License.
- Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels OUPV (Charter boat captain's license or Six Pack): Mariners first license vessels up to 65 feet in length and 100 gross tons
- USCG Approved Master 25/50/100 Ton Near Coastal Course: Upgrade from OUPV to inspected vessels (25-50-100 ton)
- STCW-Basic Safety Training: Three Day Basic Safety Training: CPR First Aid, Survival, Fire, Personal Safety and Social Responsibility.
- STCW-Crowd Management: Practical application of techniques, information, and equipment used to respond to an emergency.
- STCW-Crisis Management and Human Behavior: Applies a general knowledge of shipboard organization, emergency control and communication skills in responding to shipboard emergencies.
- Security Officer (Vessel / Company / Facility): Vessel, Company and Port Facility approved by both Det Norske Veritas and the US Coast Guard
- STCW-PDSD: Personnel with Designated Security Duties which includes Security Awareness
- MROP: Marine Radio Operators Permit
- CPR First Aid: For original or renewal
- Florida Boat Safe: Captain Life, Florida Boating Certificate. The course will provide you with all of the basic boating knowledge to help you pass the Florida Boater Education exam.