USCG Approved Captain's License and Endorsements, STCW Courses and Other Programs in Florida, Louisiana, Alaska & Texas
Established in 1994 in St.Thomas USVI, the Captain School taught its first US Coast Guard approved course in the United States in 2000 after a two year review by the Coast Guard and has graduated over 5,000 students allowing mariners to apply for a Captain's License or what is now called United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner's Credential.
The Captain School is to provide a quality educational experience in the classroom and through demonstrations of practical competencies at entry and operational levels. Course offerings include: OUPV, Master, Upgrade to Master, Sailing, Towing, STCW Basic Safety Training, Crowd Control, Crisis Management and Security Officer-Vessel, Company, and Port Facility.
The curriculum is supported by a cadre of qualified instructors approved by the US Coast Guard who bring a wealth of practical experience to the educational environment. Upon successful completion (attendance and passing required exams), student will receive a diploma from The Captain School. This diploma is then sent to the U.S. Coast Guard REC, along with the USCG Application to receive the USCG License.
OUPV (6 Pack Captains License)
- OUPV Inland: Allows operation of an uninspected vessel carrying up to six passengers on inland waters only.
- OUPV Near Coastal: Allows operation of an uninspected vessel carrying up to six passengers up to 100 miles off shore.
- Great Lakes Endorsement: If you have 90 days of your total sea time on the Great Lakes, you will be eligible for this endorsement
- Available at: Cape Coral FL, Naples FL, Sarasota FL, Orange Beach AL, Marrero LA, and Seabrook TX
Upgrade to Masters License 25/50/100 Ton
- The Masters license allows the transport of passengers on an inspected passenger vessel. These vessels must have a Certificate Of Inspection (COI) which states the number of passengers allowed and area of operation.
- Inland: May take passengers upon inland waters only
- Near Coastal: May take passengers up to 200 miles off shore
- Available at: Cape Coral FL, Naples FL, Orange Beach AL, Marrero LA, and Seabrook TX
- Commercial Assistance Towing: The Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement is a four hour USCG Approved course for a mariner holding any license. This license is strictly for assisting disabled vessels. Available at - Orange Beach AL and Seabrook TX
- Sailing Endorsement: This is a four hour USCG Approved classroom based course that will cover the written examination requirement for a candidate holding a USCG Master license to obtain a Sailing or Auxiliary Sailing Endorsement. Available at - Cape Coral FL
- One-Day Personnel With Designated Security Duties: This course will meet the STCW training requirements for Personnel With Designated Security Duties PDSD (Vessel and Facility). The course also meets the requirements for Security Awareness (SA). This course is in compliance with the following standards set forth by the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) code and IMO Vessel/Company/Port Facility.
- 3 Day Security Officer: This course will meet the STCW training requirements for Security Officer. This course is in compliance with the following standards set forth by the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) code and IMO Vessel/Company/Port Facility.
- Leadership and Managerial Skills: Master of Near Coastal Waters on vessels of less than 500 GRT are not required to have this endorsement.
- First Aid & CPR: The American Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification course meets U.S Coast Guard criteria. One must have a current certification in order to apply for a captains license. Avalable at - Orange Beach AL.
- Marine Radio Operators Permit (MROP): Many mariners operating inspected vessels or doing international voyages may be required to have a MROP.
- USCG Physical: USCG Physicals are offered at the Cape Coral & Naples FL locations once a month during class schedule.