Advanced Ship Handling Training and Education through Manned Model and Simulator Training for Maritime Pilots in Covington, Louisiana
Maritime Pilots Institute (MPI) is a Louisiana-based non-profit training and research facility and offers both Manned Model and Simulator training in one location. MPI's 3.5-acre training pond in Bush, Louisiana lets pilots hone their skills on a series of adjustable waterways to simulate docking, currents, wind, and weather. The fleet of 1:25 scale manned models act realistically, creating a real world training experience. MPI’s unique maritime 360 degree dome-design ship simulator and new manned model training facility provides the finest tools for advanced ship handling training and education.
MPI’s unique maritime 360 degree dome-design ship simulator and new manned model training facility provides the finest tools for advanced ship handling training and education. MPI offers small personalized training for maritime professionals that includes classroom-based learning, fully customizable manned model training, and Kongsberg simulator.
MPI uses current Pilots, retired Pilots and other maritime professionals for course development and instruction, providing for education that truly meets the needs of Pilots as they improve their level of service. The on-site manned model waterways can be controlled for depth, bank, dock, turning basin, current, and channels, offering clients a precise recreation of real world circumstances.
Manned Model and Simulator Training
- Advanced Shiphandling for Pilots Using Manned Models (3 days): This program is designed to provide experienced ship pilots continuing education in shiphandling proficiency.
- Advanced Shiphandling for Pilots Using Manned Models (5 days): This program is designed to provide experienced ship pilots continuing education in shiphandling proficiency.
- Azipod Maneuvering for Pilots (2 days): This course is a simulator-based training program taught by experienced azipod maneuvering instructors with the primary focus of save, hands-on maneuvering of large passenger vessels in harbor areas and for docking maneuvers.
- Bridge Resource Management for Pilots (BRMP) - 2 days: This is a 2-day, 16-hour course of instruction approved by the American Pilots Association.
- Collision Regulations for Pilots (1 day): This course is an 8-hour program designed to refresh pilots in their knowledge of the International and Inland Rules of the Road.
- Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) for Pilots (2 days): This course is a simulator-based training program utilizing the MPI Radar/ARPA/ECDIS Lab and is taught by experienced navigation electronics instructors.
- Emergency Shiphandling for Pilots (2 days): This is a 16-hour simulator-based program designed to provide initial and continuing education for Pilots in the piloting best practices employed during shipboard incidents.
- Incident Management for Pilots (1 day): This is an 8-hour course of instruction in the piloting best practices to observe following a maritime incident.
- Legal Aspects of Pilotage (4 hours): This course is a 4-hour course of instruction outlining the legal basis of US State Pilotage, including the historical precedent for the legal position of the independent US State Ship Pilot and other relevant factors relating to the personal liability of piloting.
- Manned Model 14K TEU Piloting Operations (3 days): This program is focused on integrating E-pilot methods with tug use and connects the theory of ultra-large containership operations to actual practice in a scaled environment using 14k TEU Manned Model.
- Pilot Electronics (1 day): This program is an 8-hour simulator-based program designed to introduce or refresh pilots in the technology and use of Pilot carry-Aboard unit’s.
- Pilot Use of Tractor Tugs Using Manned Models (3 days): This Program is designed to provide experienced ship pilots continuing education in the use of modern Azimuth Stern Drive (ASD) tractor tugs for ship assist and escort.
- Portable Piloting Unit (PPU) Training for Pilots (1 day): This is a custom training program for pilot groups for initial or ongoing training in the safe use and capabilities of custom Portable Piloting Units.
- Radar Use for Pilots (1 day): This course is an 8-hour simulator-based program in the use of radar for Pilots.
- Restricted Visibility Navigation for Pilots (1 day): This course is a simulator-based training program focusing on the use of radar and the integrated use of radar, portable piloting units (PPU) and ship's ECDIS while piloting.
- River Navigation Safety Program (2 days): This is a simulator-based training program for senior ship's officers to orient them with the unique navigation challenges posed by the Mississippi River during pilotage.
- Sleep, Fatigue and Lifestyle Management for Pilots (1 day): This is an 8-hour course of instruction in lifestyle management for shift workers taught by industry leading researchers in sleep and fatigue.
- Train the Trainer for Pilots (5 days): This is a 40hr program which exceeds the requirements of IMO 1.05 Training Course for Instructors.
- Use of Tractor Tugs for Pilots (2 days): This is a 16-hour simulator-based program designed to introduce direct and powered indirect ASD tug maneuvers and ship assist use for pilots.
Last udpadated: Sep 7, 2018