USCG Approved Marine Operations Non Credit Training Programs at SLCC Young Memorial Campus in Morgan City and Houma in Louisiana
Established in 1997 South Louisiana Community College (SLCC) is a public, two-year institution of higher learning with campuses in Lafayette and New Iberia. SLCC is a part of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System. In 2012, South Louisiana Community College (SLCC) merged with Acadiana Technical College (ATC), and making it one of Louisiana’s largest, most comprehensive community colleges.
SLCC offers over 43 different degree programs including 21 Associate degree programs, 19 Technical Diploma programs, and 3 programs terminating in a Certificate of Technical Studies. The college serves more than 13,000 students annually and offers an array of academic programs. Students earn associate degrees, technical diplomas, certificates, industry-based certifications, and high school equivalency diplomas. It is ranked 14th among the Top 100 Associate Degree Producers as determined by Community College Week.
With locations in Abbeville, Crowley, Franklin, Lafayette, Morgan City, New Iberia, Opelousas, St. Martinville and Ville Platte, and SLCC has considerable presence in Louisiana. Effective July 1, 2018, South Louisiana Community College has acquired the Young Memorial Campus of South Central Louisiana Technical College (SCLTC). Classes in Marine Operations are held at the Young Memorial Campus in Morgan City and at the Marine and Corporate College Training Facility in Houma.
- Technical Diploma (TD) in Industrial Marine Electronics Technology (45 Credits): The Technical Diploma in Industrial Marine Electronics Technology consists of 45 credit hours and 1690 clock hours of curriculum. The purpose of this program is to provide specialized classroom instruction and practical shop experience to prepare students for employment in a variety of jobs in the field of Industrial Marine Electronics.
Marine Operations Program
- The Marine Operations program without the Corporate College provides specialized Coast Guard-approved classroom instruction and practical training to prepare students to obtain a variety of documents, licenses, and endorsements issued by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Federal Communications Commission including Safety Training. These credentials are required for many jobs available in the Marine Operations field.
- Marine Leadership and Management Skills
- Able Seamen
- Apprentice Mate (Steersman)
- Firefighting Advanced
- First Aid/CPR
- Master 100 Tons
- Medical Care Provider
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibility
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher
- Radar Observer Recertification
- Radar Observer Unlimited
- Upgrade to Master 200 Tons
- Water Survival METS
- Water Survival Single Egress
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 9, 2018