USCG Approved Tankerman Training program in Louisiana and Texas by PSC Tankerman Training School
Tankerman Career Academy (TCA) is a training program conducted by the Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) which is one of the leading companies for product handling in the refining, chemical, and marine industries. The company employs over 3,300 employees serve at more than 100 refineries, terminals, and chemical plants across the U.S. and Canada. Petroleum Service Corporation is part of SGS, the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.
PSC / SGS Tankerman program is an on-the-job training and upon successful completion and graduation from the Tankerman Career Academy training program and receipt of the required Merchant Mariner’s Credential, graduates are eligible for continued employment with Petroleum Service Corporation. Eligibility for continued employment depends upon the student’s overall performance during training, their level of competence at graduation, and PSC’s staffing needs. This is not an offer or guarantee of continued employment.
Job Description of a Tankerman
The tankerman’s role is critical to our nation’s petroleum and chemical shipping industry. The tankerman serves as the person-in-charge of critical operations, with responsibility for protecting the environment by ensuring the safe transfer of petrochemicals to barges. Tankermen must be certified by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Types of Tankermen
There are two types of tankermen - boat tankermen and shore tankermen. Petroleum Service Corporation only employs shore tankermen who live at home and travel to various work sites.
- Tankerman Training Program (4 months): This program is an on-the-job training program that is typically offered a few times a year, depending on our need for more tankermen. This intensive training program takes only four months and includes one-on-one field training taught by some of the very best tankermen in the industry. The training is typically offered in four locations - Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Corpus Christi, Texas; Pasadena, Texas; and Port Arthur, Texas. The locations may vary depending on the need for tankermen in each area. At a maximum, the program will run three times/year.
- Age: 18 years
- Legally able to work in the US
- English proficiency
- Driver’s license
- No DUIs/DWIs in the past three years
- drug screen and physical test
- panel interviews
- Qualified to receive TWIC
- Eligible to receive a U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner credential (MMC) upon completion of the training