Pick your Language (Translate)
Maritime and Logistics Degree and Certificate Programs at San Jac & Professional Mariner Training at SJC Maritime Technical Training Center
Established in 1961, San Jacinto College (SJC) has been serving the citizens of East Harris County, Texas, for 50 years. With over 140 degree and certificate options, you can take advantage of regular classroom instruction, online courses, or hybrid courses that feature a combination of online and classroom instruction. San Jac has a variety of education options available for you. Attend regular 16-week courses, or speed up the learning process with the 12- or 8-week terms, take advantage of the minimester courses, or get your degree on the weekend.
San Jacinto College partners closely with universities across Texas to provide a clear path for transfer students and even has special agreements with some of the biggest universities in Texas – complete the requirements at San Jac and you are guaranteed admission to most Texas institutions through Transfer 101.
SJC Maritime Technical Training Center
The San Jacinto College Maritime Program, just outside of Houston, Texas offers United States Coast Guard (USCG) (NMC)-approved and internationally-recognized Standards for Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) maritime training and deck-level coursework for all professional mariners from the entry-level deckhand on an inland towboat to Unlimited Tonnage Masters on the world’s largest ships and everything in between. Engineering courses are available from engine room fundamentals to Qualified Member of the Engineering Department (QMED), Designated Duty engineer (DDE), to Chief Engineer.
Academic & Training Programs
Degree / Certificate Programs
- Occupational Certificate in International Business Logistics and Maritime (15 credits) / Certificate of Technology in International Business Logistics and Maritime (33 credits) / AAS Degree in International Business Logistics and Maritime (60 credits): The international business and logistics program is designed to prepare students for careers in the international trade community. Students successfully completing the program will develop a strong background in import and export management processes, governmental controls, licensing of products, import and export documentation, customs regulations, and political-legal factors in the foreign trade environment. The maritime logistics topics covered in this program are: Ships and Shipping, Exports and Imports, Business Logistics, Economics of Transportation and Distribution, Global Supply Chain Management, Warehouse and Distribution Center Management, Customs Regulations, and International Business/Trade/Commerce practicum.
- AAS Degree in Maritime Transportation: Students will merge USCG approved and required maritime coursework with math, science and English classes which will allow them to be much more prepared for a professional career at sea and be much more attractive in the job market. Graduates of this program will have exactly what local maritime employers are looking for in their new crew. These employers have been integral in designing this new maritime degree program and are anxious to hire the first young people who complete the program.
Continuing Education & Professional Training Programs
Deck And Engine Courses
- Able Bodied Seaman
- Advanced Cargo Handling and Stowage
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Advanced Fire Fighting Refresher
- *Advanced LNG
- Advanced Meteorology
- *Advanced Navigation
- Advanced Shiphandling
- Advanced Stability
- Apprentice Mate (Steersman)
- Apprentice Mate (Steering) Upgrade
- Apprentice Mate (Steering) Western Rivers
- Automatic Radar Plotter Aid (ARPA)
- Basic Fire Fighting
- Basic Safety Refresher
- Basic Safety Training
- Basic Shiphandling & Steering Controls Systems
- Basic Training Revalidation
- Bridge Resource Management
- Cargo Handling and Stowage (Operational Level)
- Celestial Navigation (Operational Level)
- Chef Mate/Master Assessment
- Combined Basic & Advanced Fire Fighting
- Company Security Officer
- Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) 1000/4000 HP
- Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) Unlimited Horsepower
- Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- Electronic Navigation
- Emergency Procedures (Operational Level)
- Engine Room Resource Management
- First Aid/CPR
- Leadership & Mangerial Skills
- Leadership & Teamworking Skills
- Marine Propulsion Plants
- Maritime Security Awareness
- Master 100 Tons / Mate 200 Tons
- Medical Care Person In Charge
- Medical Care Provider
- Meteorology (Operational Level)
- *Operating Principles of Marine Propulsion Plants
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency in Survival Craft (Lifeboat)
- Qualified Assessor
- Radar Observer Inland
- Radar Observer Unlimited - Renewal
- Radar Observer Unlimited
- Radar Recertification
- Ratings Forming Part of Navigational Watch (Lookout Only)
- Search & Rescue
- Ship Construction and Basic Stability
- Ship Management
- Simulator Instructor Training
- Tank Barge Dangerous Liquids (Tankerman PIC Barge)
- Tank Ship Dangerous Liquids (Tankerman PIC Ship)
- Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation
- Towing Officer Assessment
- Train the Trainer
- Upgrade Master 100 GRT to Master 200 GRT
- Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties (VPDSD)
- Vessel Security Officer
- Visual Communications (Flashing Light)
- Voyage Planning & Electronic Navigation
* comng soon
SAN JAC Features
San Jacinto Community College District is a public community college in East Harris County, Texas, which serves a district defined by the combined areas of these independent school districts: Channelview, Clear Creek, Deer Park, Galena Park, La Porte, Pasadena and Sheldon, as well as portions of Clear Creek and Humble.
- Campus: The North, South, and Central campuses are three are conveniently located to provide easy access for all citizens of the San Jacinto Community College District. The North campus is located at Uvalde Road Houston, Texas.
- Accreditation: San Jacinto Community College District is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award the associate degree.
- Honors Program: The Honors program at San Jacinto College offers academically talented and highly motivated students special opportunities for enriched learning, recognition and personal growth. The program combines a stimulating range and depth of scholarly pursuits with an interdisciplinary approach to learning.
- The University Connection: The University Connection at San Jacinto College North offers students the opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree at San Jacinto College. The University of Houston, University of Houston-Clear Lake, University of Houston-Downtown, LeTourneau University and Texas A&M University offer courses through the University Connection.
LAST UPDATED ON May 8, 2017