Maritime and Logistics Degree and Certificate Programs at San Jac & Professional Mariner Training at SJC Maritime Technical Training Center
Established in 1961, San Jacinto College (SJC or San Jac) has been serving the citizens of East Harris County, Texas, for 50 years. With over 140 degree and certificate options, you can take advantage of regular classroom instruction, online courses, or hybrid courses that feature a combination of online and classroom instruction.
San Jac has a variety of education options available for you. Attend regular 16-week courses, or speed up the learning process with the 12- or 8-week terms, take advantage of the minimester courses, or get your degree on the weekend.
San Jacinto College partners closely with universities across Texas to provide a clear path for transfer students and even has special agreements with some of the biggest universities in Texas – complete the requirements at San Jac and you are guaranteed admission to most Texas institutions through Transfer 101.
SJC Maritime Technical Training Center
The San Jacinto College Maritime Program, just outside of Houston, Texas offers United States Coast Guard (USCG) (NMC)-approved and internationally-recognized Standards for Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) maritime training and deck-level coursework for all professional mariners from the entry-level deckhand on an inland towboat to Unlimited Tonnage Masters on the world’s largest ships and everything in between. Engineering courses are available from engine room fundamentals to Qualified Member of the Engineering Department (QMED), Designated Duty engineer (DDE), to Chief Engineer.
Academic & Training Programs
Maritime Degree Program
- AAS Degree in Maritime Transportation: Maritime is a semester credit hour program that incorporates U.S. Coast Guard approved training into the semester credit courses. This training provides instruction to prepare students for a future career as a mariner on board vessels. As part of the associate of applied science degree in maritime transportation, students must complete two practical trainings during summer terms. This typically means working as a deckhand or crew member on a commercial vessel. Students will obtain a Transportation Worker’s Identification Credential (TWIC) during the first semester. All U.S. Merchant Mariners are credentialed by a branch of the U.S. Coast Guard - National Maritime Center.
- AAS Degree in Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management: The global logistics and supply chain management program is designed to prepare students for careers in transportation industries, international logistics, and global supply chain management industries; and offers a solid foundation in import/export management processes, world economics, licensing and documentation, US Customs regulations, and political-legal factors in the foreign trade environment. It also teaches students about international purchasing and sourcing, international marketing strategies, monetary systems, international and domestic transportation and logistics, organizational culture, and global maritime management; and provides field experience that offers hands-on experience as logistics interns with companies in the Greater Houston area.
- Certificate of Technology in Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management: The program teaches you the complexities of successfully operating in the global logistics community. You may decide to become an importer-exporter or enter the fast-changing world of wholesale and retail buying or one of the many other options.
Professional CE Training Programs
Deck And Engine Courses
- Able Bodied Seaman
- Adv Fire Fighting Refresher
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Advanced Fire Fighting Revalidation
- Advanced Handling & Stowage
- Advanced Meteorology
- Advanced Shiphandling
- Advanced Stability
- Apprentice Mate
- Apprentice Mate Western Routes
- Assistance Towing
- Automatic Radar Plotter Aid
- Basic Fire Fighting (BST Pt 1)
- Basic Safety Refresher
- Basic Safety Training
- Basic Ship & Steer Control Sys
- Basic Training Revalidation
- Bridge Resource Management
- Cargo Handling (Op Level)
- Celestial Navigation (Management)
- Celestial Navigation (OP)
- Combined Basic and Advanced Fire Fighting
- Company Security Officer
- DDE 1000/4000 HP
- Deck Only Assessments - CLASS
- Deckhand Familiarization
- Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) Unlimited
- Electrical Machinery and Basic Electronics
- Electrical Systems Design
- Electronic Chart ECDIS
- Electronic Navigation
- Engine Room Resource Mgmt
- First Aid & CPR (BST Part 2)
- First Aid CPR & AED
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems (GMDSS)
- Introduction to the Maritime Transportation Industry
- Leadership & Managerial Skills
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Management of Electrical & Electronic Control Equipment (MEECE)
- Management of Medical Care
- Master 100 Tons/Mate 200 Tons
- Medical Care Person in Charge
- Medical Care Provider
- Meteorology (Operational)
- OIC Engineering Watch-Diesel Engine
- OICEW-Auxiliary Machinery
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (BST Part 4)
- Personal Survival Techniques (BST Part 3)
- Preventive Maintenance (Maritime)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft
- Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher
- Qualified Assessor
- Radar Observer Unlimited Renewal
- Radar Observer-Inland
- Radar Observer-Unlimited
- Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch (Motor Assessments Only)
- RFPNW (Lookout only)
- Rose Point ECS Training
- SEAIQ ECS Training
- Search & Rescue (Op Level)
- Search and Rescue (Management Level)
- Ship Construction & Basic Stability (Operational Level)
- Ship Management
- Tank Barge Dangerous Liquids
- Tankerman PIC-Tankship
- Terrestrial/Coastal Navigation
- Towing Officer Assessment Record (TOAR)
- Train the Trainer
- Upgrade Master 100 to 200 GRT
- Upgrade to Apprentice Mate
- Vessel Security Officer
- Voyage Planning and Electronic Navigation
- VPDSD-Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties
- Watchkeeping (Operational Level)
SAN JAC Features
San Jacinto Community College District is a public community college in East Harris County, Texas, which serves a district defined by the combined areas of these independent school districts: Channelview, Clear Creek, Deer Park, Galena Park, La Porte, Pasadena and Sheldon, as well as portions of Clear Creek and Humble.
- Campus: The North, South, and Central campuses are three are conveniently located to provide easy access for all citizens of the San Jacinto Community College District. The North campus is located at Uvalde Road Houston, Texas.
- Accreditation: San Jacinto Community College District is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award the associate degree.
- Honors Program: The Honors program at San Jacinto College offers academically talented and highly motivated students special opportunities for enriched learning, recognition and personal growth. The program combines a stimulating range and depth of scholarly pursuits with an interdisciplinary approach to learning.
- The University Connection: The University Connection at San Jacinto College North offers students the opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree at San Jacinto College. The University of Houston, University of Houston-Clear Lake, University of Houston-Downtown, LeTourneau University and Texas A&M University offer courses through the University Connection.
LAST UPDATED ON May 26, 2019