USCG Approved Captain’s and Masters Licensing & Other Courses and Endorsements in Aransas Pass and Port O’Connor, TX
Established in 1978, Sea Academy Inc. is a maritime training center located on the South Texas coast in Corpus Christi TX. All the courses are approved by USCG and the USCG approved Instructors are experienced captains are dedicated to safety and competence on the water. Sea Academy has been a Gulf Coast leader in maritime education and helps bring your boating skills to a higher level. From the entry level captain's license to the Master's including specialty courses, the academy has all the courses needed for a successful captain or Master.
Sea Academy services include processing applications for original as well as renewal, raise in grade, and tonnage increase for USCG credentials. The Sea Academy also will walk you through the paperwork process leading to your license issuance by the USCG. The Sea Academy supports the efforts to promote safe boating and advanced levels of boating education carried out by the volunteers of various civic organizations.
The course locations are Aransas Pass and Port O’Connor in Southern Texas.
USCG License Programs
- OUPV (6-PAK) Captains License: As a licensed OUPV (Operator, Uninspected Passenger Vessel) you may carry up to six paying passengers. The classes include Navigation Rules, Deck Safety, and Plotting Skills. The OUPV course is a 56 hour class which includes all required testing.
- Upgrade to Masters: The Upgrade to Master course moves the licensed OUPV captain beyond entry level licensing into levels usually required by maritime industries. AMaster's license conveys a sense of professionalism to the Mariner and opens the door to opportunities for advancement. The Upgrade to Master course is a 22 hour study of Deck General and Deck Safety topics which includes required testing.
Other USCG Approved Courses
- First Aid / CPR / AED: This course will provide the mariner with the knowledge and skills necessary in an emergency to help sustain life and to minimize pain and the consequences of injury or sudden illness until professional medical help arrives.
- Navigation Rules: This 16 hour rules of the road course is designed for those military personnel who are required to master navigation rules for ratings such as coxswain or Bosun Mate First Class. It is also popular with mariners seeking a level of understanding between basic boating safety and OUPV licensure as they accumulate sea service.
USCG Endorsement Courses
- Tow Assist: The 4-hour Tow Assist course will add this endorsement to your OUPV or Master's license, thus enabling you to charge a fee for assistance towing when appropriate.
- Auxiliary Sail: A Master with sufficient sea service aboard sailing craft will want to add our 4-hour Auxiliary Sail endorsement to their license. This endorsement enables the mariner to fee-charter aboard an inspected sailboat. Day trips, dinner cruises and more adventurous cruises can be a supplemental effort or full-time business for the mariner to pursue.
LAST UPDATED ON Oct 1, 2018