Translate to Your Language
Maritime Economics & International Trade Education and Professional Programs & Supply Chain Executive Programs at SMU International Tradining Institute (ITI) & SMU ExD
Founded in 2000, Singapore Management University (SMU) aims to groom outstanding business leaders and creative entrepreneurs capable of excelling in a rapidly changing and dynamic world. Today, SMU is home to more than 6000 students and comprises six schools: Lee Kong Chian School of Business, School of Accountancy, School of Economics, School of Social Sciences, School of Information Systems and School of Law. SMU offers bachelor’s, master’s and PhD degree programs in business and management-related areas, ranging from Accountancy, Economics, Finance, Wealth Management, Law, Information Systems to Social Science.
The International Trading Institute @SMU (ITI) was formed in 2007 as the result of a tripartite collaboration between Singapore Management University (SMU), International Enterprise (IE) Singapore and leading Industry Partners. The first trading institute in the world to be set up within a university, ITI boasts a specialist focus on international trading and is supported by a unique public-private partnership. ITI is the premier industry platform for thought leadership in the arena of international trading.
SMU is a public university in Singapore. Lee Kong Chian School of Business (LKCSB), and School of Accountancy are accredited by AACSB International.
Academic & Training Programs
Undergraduate Programs with SMU-ITI
- BSc (Economics Major) with Maritime Economics Track (MET): The Maritime Economics Track (MET) is a maritime-focused cluster of courses within the Economics major, designed to give students a distinctive preparation for maritime-related roles in industry and government organizations such as the MPA. Building on the foundations established in the major, the MET develops essential knowledge and contextualized skills relevant for analysis of economic issues in the maritime sector. An important distinguishing feature of the MET is that academic courses are complemented in a variety of ways that make the Track a fully comprehensive preparation for careers in the maritime sector. MET students will have access to industry scholarships and experiential learning opportunities including industry study missions, site visits, local and overseas internships, and non-credit courses presented by industry professionals.
- BBM (Finance Major) with International Trading Track (ITT): he International Trading Track (ITT) was launched with the primary aim of equipping SMU undergraduates for careers with companies operating in the trading value chain. This includes organizations involved in trading, shipping, logistics, trade finance and maritime services amongst many others. This special program is offered to full-time SMU students who have opted for Finance as a major and who are entering their 2nd year studies. SMU undergraduates on the concentration have the opportunity to identify international trading and related industries as attractive career options. Organizations are also able to achieve a better fit between individuals and their talent needs. Students are usually candidates with a strong interest in physical commodities trading and finance.
Professional Programs at SMU-ITI
- International Trading Professional Conversion Program (PCP) (Non Commodity or Commodity): International Trading Professional Conversion Program (PCP) was developed to ensure Singapore’s companies and workforce involved in International Trade will be Future Ready. Developed in close collaboration with business associations, leading corporations, government agencies, and industry experts, key skillsets and knowledge required for the businesses of tomorrow were identified and incorporated into the PCP. The program has the following 4 components -
- Introductory Certificate in International Trade (ICIT) - Phase Period 5 days
- Specialist Certificate in International Trading (SCIT) - Phase Period 6 months
- Global Trade Certificate (GTC) - Phase Period 6 months from start of SCIT
- Capstone Projects or Summative Assessment, Project Presentation and Graduation Ceremony
Executive Development Programs at SMU-ExD
- Global Supply Chain Management Program (3 days): This program aims to capture, share and apply learning from global supply chain networks. Guiding participants through the complexity and uncertainty of the modern supply network and the operational experiences of Asia, they explore the development of supply network resilience.
- Advanced Negotiation Strategies (SkillsFuture Approved) (2 days): This interactive program is a well-balanced blend of theory and practice. It is designed primarily to sharpen your negotiation and persuasion skills. The advanced simulations that are included in this program will introduce you to the complexity and demands of multi-party and team negotiations.
LAST UPDATED ON Mar 8, 2017