Home Canada British Columbia › You are here

Transport Canada Approved Maritime Training Programs in Prince Rupert BC, Canada

capps northern training

CAPPS Northern Training is a local maritime education business located in Prince Rupert BC and provides programs and training for for the next generation of aspiring seafarers. CAPPS Northern Training is a Transport Canada Certified Marine Education on the Northwest Coast of British Columbia.

Courses are available for Experienced Seafarers looking to get certified and also for those looking to begin their careers in the maritime industry. CAPPS Northern Training gets you prepared for the Transport Canada Exams. CAPPS Northern Training is one of few institutions globally certified to deliver the Electronic Chart Display & Information System’s Course.

The training center is located at Prince Rupert in British Columbia and approved by Transport Canada.

capps northern training prince rupert

Training Programs

Transport Canada Approved Courses

  • Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP): The subject matter contained herein meets the requirements of a stand-alone course that addresses the particular need for minimum training of operators of commercial vessels, other than tugs and fishing vessels, up to 5 gross tonnage engaged on a near coastal, class 2 or a sheltered waters voyage, and for fishing vessels up to 15 gross tonnage or 12 meters overall length engaged on a near coastal, class 2 (including an inland voyage on Lake Superior or Lake Huron) or a sheltered waters voyage.
  • MED A2: This course is a combination of instruction and practical knowledge to ensure the safety of passengers and crew. Topics include familiarization of hazards associated with the marine environment, develop skills to assist passengers in an emergency, and learn to maintain safety equipment and records. Pool and firefighting practical sessions are involved in this course.
  • MED A3: Marine Emergency Duties - Small Non-Pleasure Vessel Basic Safety (MED A3): This training is required for any seafarer within 6 Months of working on a commercial vessel. The MED Certificate needed will depend on the size, type of Vessel and area of Operation.

Radio Courses

  • Radio Operator Certificate - Maritime Commercial: The Restricted Operator Certificate ─ Maritime Commercial (ROC-MC) is intended for mariners, serving on compulsorily fitted commercial ships within the North American A1 Sea Area, as defined in Radio Aids to Marine Navigation.
  • Radio Operator Certificate - Maritime: This certificate is mainly intended for pleasure boaters, as they do not fall within the scope of Transport Canada’s Ship Station (Radio) Regulations, 1999.

Additional Marine Courses

  • Chartwork 1 & 2: As part of the Fishing Master IV and Masters Limited - 60 ton, Mate 150, Master 150 curriculum, this course examines theory and practice of navigation of Chartwork 1 & 2.
  • Navigation Safety: This course covers the Collision Regulations and relevant STCW code.
  • SEN-L: This course of instruction and certification is required for the Fishing Master IV and Fishing Master 60 Ton certifications.
  • Small Vessel Machinery Operator (SVMO):This is the minimum Marine Engineer Certificate required for passenger vessels that have propulsive power from 75 to 749 kW and do not go beyond a Limited Near Coastal Voyage, Class 2.
  • ECDIS: To train the mariner in the safe operation of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) and electronic chart systems on board vessels equipped with such systems.

Last Updated: June 21, 2021