Translate to Your Language
Marine Services Technology and Motorcycle & Marine Technician Programs & Inboard/Outboard Apprenticeship in Vancouver Island
Established in 1969 as Malaspina College with the main campus Nanaimo in Vancouver Island, Vancouver Island University (VIU) internationally known university with approximately 16,000 full-time and part-time students including over 2,000 international students. VIU operates four campuses including a main campus in Nanaimo which has 908,500 square feet of built space, and the regional campuses in Duncan and Powell River and a campus center in Parksville.
VIU Offers programs from basic literacy to vocational programs, trades, undergraduate and graduate degrees. Vancouver Island University also offers nine programs, which incorporate the Co-operative Education model. Other programs include - field study, International internships, co-ops and practica, and exchanges.
VIU Trades and Applied Technology department provides trades training and apprenticeship programs for the marine and automotive industry. The programs are offered in collaboration or approval with the industry and Industry Training Authority. The department also offers customized Heavy Equipment Training.
Training & Apprenticeship Programs
Marine Services Technology Program
- Automotive Service Technician Certificate (10 months): The Vancouver Island University Automotive Department provides both foundation and apprenticeship training. Foundation training is designed to prepare students for a career in the automotive repair trade. Graduates of this program may find work as apprentice automotive technicians, or as automotive parts persons/service writers. Job opportunities exist on Vancouver Island, and throughout BC and Canada. Upon receiving the Interprovincial Certificate, graduates are eligible to work anywhere in Canada.
- Automotive Service Technician Foundation: This program is suited to individuals with all levels of mechanical experience. Upon successful completion of all the program courses, students receive an Automotive Service Technician Foundation Program certificate and an Essential Skills for the Workplace – Automotive Service Technician certificate. Graduates of this program may receive credit towards the technical portion of the first year of the Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship program.
- ITA Automotive Apprenticeship (4 years): The apprentice level training provides provincially certified apprenticeship training for registered Automotive apprentices in Level 1, 2, 3, and 4. The Automotive Apprenticeship program consists of 4 years on-the-job experience combined with in-school technical training in order to become eligible to write the Interprovincial (Red Seal) examination for journeyperson certification.
Motorcycle & Marine Technician Program
- Motorcycle & Marine Technician Foundation (9 months): This 9-month Foundation program is suited to individuals with all levels of mechanical experience and prepares students for careers as inboard / outboard marine technicians or motorcycle/outdoor power equipment technicians. Upon successful completion, students receive a VIU Motorcycle & Marine Technician Certificate. Graduates also receive Industry Training Authority Level I Apprentice certification in both Motorcycle Mechanic (Motorcycle and Power Equipment Technician) and Inboard/Outboard Mechanic.
- ITA Inboard/Outboard Apprenticeship (4 years): Apprentices work at marine businesses and come to VIU for 4 weeks each year for technical training. Each level is associated with 4-week technical training sessions. Upon successful completion of all 4 years of technical training, and verification of number of industry relevant work hours, the Interprovincial Exam may be written.