Superyacht Courses, MCA Approved STCW & IYT Yacht Training Programs and Other Courses in Cole Bay, St Martin
Located in Cole Bay, Saint Martin, the Maritime School of the West Indies (MSWI) was the first school to teach Crew Training Courses in the Caribbean and affiliated to International Yacht Training (IYT). MSWI run monthly courses like the full STCW, the Refresher courses, Small Powerboat and RIB, VHF and many others.
The island St. Maarten or St. Martin is well known all over the world as a mega yacht mecca and there are many high-end marinas and hundreds of yachts that visit, not only in the high season but long before and after the busiest months. MSWI places a lot of students each Caribbean season on board yachts and many others on yachts in the Mediterranean.
Almost all of the captains, owners or/and management companies know that when a crew member has attended the Maritime School of The West Indies, they are competent and received the training in the best circumstances and instructed by the competent instructors. So you have a great possibility to find a job on board one of those yachts.
- Superyacht Deck Crew: Maritime School offers several courses and levels that can be instructed on board your yacht or vessel. We can also travel to other Islands to complete courses on board, when travel plans may not include St. Maarten-St. Martin.
- Superyacht Hospitality Course: This is a five-day training program and the topics include - the superyacht industry, bar/wine & food service theory, bar/wine & food service practical, interior detailing / laundry, and special skills.
MCA/IYT Yacht Courses
- Yachtmaster Coastal: The IYT Master of Yachts 200 Ton certifications are the most universally accepted certificates for the operation of commercial yachts up to a specified tonnage. There are three MCA approved master of yachts 200 ton courses - Master of Yachts 200 Tons Mate (Coastal) for first mate of a Yacht under 200 Tons; Master of Yachts 200 Tons Limited (Offshore) - for command of a Yacht under 200 Tons, up to150 miles offshore; and Master of Yachts 200 Tons Unlimited (Ocean) - for command of a Yacht up to 200 Tons unlimited oceans. The IYT Master of Yachts certificates are currently accepted for commercial use by 25 different governing bodies including the MCA - USCG and Marshall Islands.
- Master of Yachts 200 Ton Limited (Offshore) (11 days): Six days theory and five days at sea. Five varied passages with rhumb lines of over 60 miles, two of which the candidate must have been undertaking the duties of skipper or watch keeper.
- Master of Yachts 200 Tons - Unlimited (Ocean): The course consists of 6 days of astronavigation and passage planning.
- STCW 2010 Basic Training
- Personal Survival Course (1.5 days)
- Fire Prevention (2 days)
- First Aid and CPR (1 day)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (1 day)
- Proficiency in Maritime Security Awareness (0.5 day)
- Refresher Courses
- 10M Powerboat & RIB Master - Level 2 (2 days)
- ICC 24m Power & Sail Boat
- 24m Power & Sail Boat - Level 2
- VHF Course
- Personal Watercraft Operator
- Recreational US Sailing Courses