Merchant Navy, Maritime Operations, Nautical Science & Ocean and Coastal Management Degree & Diploma Programs in Trinidad and Tobago
Established in 2004, University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) is a multi-campus university in Trinidad and Tobago with its main campus is located in Wallerfield, Arima. Presently, its campuses are an amalgamation of several former technological colleges throughout the country.
Trinidad and Tobago’s Maritime Industry has been earmarked as one of several priority sectors for development and investment building. UTT offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs, along with several short courses, which are tailor-made to meet the requirements of the dynamic maritime industry.
The University of Trinidad and Tobago is a multi-campus facility with major campuses located at Point Lisas (Energy, Process and Utilities Programs) O'Meara, Chaguaramas (Maritime Programs) and Wallerfield (Information Technology and other programs). All campuses include modern laboratories to support the University's cutting-edge programs.
UTT has received Institutional Accreditation from the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT) and Specialized Accreditation from a number of international bodies such as - Energy Institute (EI), Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), and Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST).
Merchant Navy Programs
- Diploma in Maritime Operations - Engineering (2 years, FT, Chaguaramas Campus): The main aim of the program is to provide candidates pursuing the Certificate of Competency relevant to 3rd Engineer Officer of the Watch (EOOW) in the merchant navy with the required qualifications; education and training to be awarded the UK MCA certificate - STCW Knowledge Understanding and Proficiency, hence preparing them to become Engineer Cadets/3rd Officers in the Merchant Navy.
- Diploma in Maritime Operations - Navigation (2 years, FT, Chaguaramas Campus): This program is approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) UK and successful completion of this program and the subsequent Professional Officer of the Watch (Deck) program will permit students to sit the Professional Officer of the Watch Navigation written and oral examination conducted by the MCA.
Bachelor’s Degree Programs
- BSc Degree in Nautical Science/Maritime Operations (4 years, FT, Chaguaramas Campus): The program is targeted at persons wishing to undertake a career in the shore-based maritime industry and is designed to build the commercial maritime acumen of its graduates. On successful completion of this program, students will have obtained the knowledge, understanding, skills and values deemed critical to shore-based personnel in the maritime industry. This degree is accredited by the IMarEST of the United Kingdom (UK).
Master’s Degree Programs
- MSc in Operational Maritime Management (2 years, Part-Time, Chaguaramas Campus): The Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Operational Maritime Management is designed to develop the skills of persons already in the maritime field. Persons with first degrees that are not maritime-related can also access this postgraduate degree as a means of understanding the operations of the maritime sector. By achieving the learning outcomes of this program, candidates become equipped with the knowledge and skills required to effectively participate in the development of the maritime industry. Trinidad and Tobago's expanding maritime sector opens an ocean of possibilities for future graduates.
Ocean & Coastal Management Programs
- BSc in Coastal and Ocean Management (4 years, FT, Chaguaramas Campus): This program emphasizes the value of research to students’ achievement of academic excellence as well as its contribution to the development of marine resource management strategies and policy. It also emphasizes the connection between the marine environment and sustainable marine resource management to ensure a stable economy with an emphasis on healthy ecosystems, sustainable tourism and food security.
- MSc in Integrated Coastal and Ocean Management (2 years-FT, 3 years-PT, Chaguaramas Campus): This program within the Advanced Centre for Coastal and Oceanic Research and Development (ACCORD) targets students interested in a specific career path in Coastal and Ocean Management and ensures theoretical and practical knowledge and experience that will be relevant to national, regional and international development and enterprise. This degree is accredited by the IMarEST.
RYA Yachting Courses
Professional Seafarer & STCW Courses
- Bridge Watchkeeping Preparatory Course
- Basic Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations
- Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations
- Efficient Deck Hand Certificate
- Engineroom Resource Management
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System
- GMDSS Restricted Operator's Certificate Course
- High Voltage Training Operational Level
- Human Element Leadership and Management at the Operational Level
- Navigation Aids and Equipment Simulator Training
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Basic Safety Training
- Crisis Management and Human Behaviour
- Designated Security Duties
- Medical First Aid on Board Ship
- Security Awareness
- RADAR / ARPA
- Ship Security Officer
- Tanker Fire Fighting Course
- Training for the Operational Use of ECDIS
- Updated Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting
- Updated Proficiency in Basic Safety Training