IYT Certification, Basic Seamanship and STCW 2010 Training Programs in St. Michael, Barbados
Located at Cave Hill, St. Michael in Barbados, Schooner Ruth provides seamanship and traditional sail training to educate the young adults (18-25) of Barbados, OECS, Canada and elsewhere about historic trade connections between their countries. Though seamanship and sail training, movement of local manufactured goods and fresh produce, Schooner Ruth intends to strengthen bonds between Barbados & the Windward Islands.
The privately funded schooner S/V Ruth is a newly constructed ultra-modern 100 ft length overall - 100 ton traditional sail cargo vessel constructed entirely in Barbados by Barbadian and OECS craftsmen. It is intended that S/V Ruth will be fully equipped to provide regular inter-island cargo service between Barbados and the Windward Islands, but initially between Barbados and Dominica as a pilot project for a few months. This service will promote the export of fresh agricultural produce from the Windward Islands and promote the export of high quality Barbadian manufactured goods.
The Caribbean Sail Cargo Initiative is a formal association with the University of the West Indies Centre for Food Security and Entrepreneurship. The project was established to promote and provide among other thing, seamanship training programs with accreditation to IMO STCW 2010 and RYA Standards and tidal and non-tidal mile-building.
IYT World Yachtmaster Training Courses
- International Crew (6 days): This is a certificate of excellence for those candidates who wish to train to become an active crew member on a power or sailing yacht. it includes an Introduction to Boating for power and sail yachts.
- International Bareboat Skipper (6 days): It is the level of competence required when chartering a boat in the Mediterranean or West Indies where there are restrictions in terms of cruising area and distance from the base and the vessel has to be safely moored in a marina or anchored before dark.
- VHF-SRC Operators License (1 day): A trainee successfully completing this course and passing the prescribed examination should be able to efficiently operate the GMDSS equipment, and to have primary responsibility to radio communications during distress, urgency, safety and routine incidents for non-SOLAS (Voluntary ft) vessels fitted for sea areas A1 only.
- Navigation Master (4 days): The aim of this course is to increase the candidates’ knowledge to navigate competently and safely. This is NOT a beginner’s course.
- Yachtmaster Coastal - Recreational (6 days): The IYT Worldwide Yachtmaster Coastal certificate is a certificate of competency for operating yachts in command of a vessel up to a maximum length of 80 ft /24 meters (either auxiliary powered sailing vessels or a power vessels – per certificate endorsement) and its crew in coastal waters up to a distance of 60 miles offshore in moderate wind and sea conditions, day and night).
- Yachtmaster Offshore - Recreational (11 days): The IYT Worldwide Yachtmaster Offshore is a Certificate of Competency for operating Recreational Pleasure Yachts in command of a vessel up to a maximum 24 meters, up to 150 nautical miles from the coast (Day or night, any weather).
- Weather Master (1 day): This is a one day course on weather/meteorology for those seeking a comprehensive understanding of the factors involved in world meteorology and weather routing for long distance or ocean passage. This course is an extract from the meteorology section of our Yachtmaster Offshore course.
- Master of Yacht: The theory course is a six-day comprehensive high-level shore based course with assessment papers and written examinations.
Basic Seaman’s Certificate
- Pre-departure training-: Vessel orientation and basic safety procedures
- Prevention and safe practices
- Navigation, social responsibility and survival techniques
- Navigation, seamanship and basic fire prevention/fighting
STCW 2010 Courses
- Security Awareness
- Survival Techniques (Theory)
- Survival Techniques (Practical)
- Fire-Fighting (Theory)
- Fire-Fighting (Practical)
- First Aid (Theory)
- First Aid (Practical)
- Safety and Social Responsibility (Theory)