Marina Traineeship, Short Courses, Webinars, and GMI Training & Certification Programs in Australia and Asia Pacific
The Marina Industries Association (MIA) is the peak industry body for the marina industries in Australia, Asia and the Pacific regions. MIA is dedicated to the needs of marina owners and operators of berthing, mooring, storage and slipway/workshop facilities connected to sailing, cruising and general boating.
MIA has members in many countries and has a growing influence in the marina industries across the wider Asian region. MIA provides well-established and internationally recognized career training pathway for the marina industries and is a founding member of the Global Marina Institute (GMI). GMI ensures a high and internationally consistent standard of training is delivered across the globe by its partners MIA and the British Marine Federation (BMF).
MIA is a partner of The Yacht Harbours Association with the Global Gold Anchor Scheme and a member of the ICOMIA Marinas Group and is a partner with the Boating Industries Association in Marine17 and the Marine Industry Foundation. MIA has a long standing research partnership with the Recreational Marine Research Centre based at Michigan State University.
Training & Certification Programs
MIA Marina Traineeship Program
Traineeship for Certificate III in Marina Operations: This new course has been developed by the Marina Industry Association (MIA) in consultation with marinas as a result of a genuine industry need to provide formal skills in this dynamic and essential industry sector. If you have further questions concerning this course or you wish to have further information provided you are most welcome to contact Safety Corp or Marina Industries Association. Both the student and employer will be supported by Marine Skills in Practice in setting on the job training programs and preparing for off the job training and assessment.
MIA Marina Short Courses
- Club Marine Emergency Preparedness Training (0.5 day): In co-operation with Safety Corp and Club Marine, MIA has developed the Club Marine Emergency Preparedness Training. This half day course is relevant to marinas of all sizes. It will help you develop an emergency management plan for your facility or refresh ideas for facilities with an existing emergency management plan.
- Club Marine Extreme Weather Preparedness Course (0.5 day): Creating a comprehensive Extreme Weather Preparedness Plan can significantly reduce the time and mental strain spent preparing a marina operation in advance of severe weather.MIA has created a course for the marina industry to check and if need be update marina planning, procedures, and facilities to ensure staff and customers are prepared for extreme weather events.
- Marina Attendant (1 day): The course is a great stepping stone for people to enter into the marina industry. It meets the needs of people wanting to gain experience and learn more about the industry and introduce young people to the career prospects and opportunities.
- Pontoon and Pedestal Manufacturers Semina (1 day)r: MIA’s Pontoon and Pedestal Manufacturers’ Seminar will provide an opportunity to canvas major pontoon and pedestal suppliers on one day and under one roof.
- Straddle Carrier Operations and Maintenance (2 days): This course is aimed at people working in marine service and boatyards. It instructs them on all facets of straddle carrier operations and maintenance and is provided in partnership with a Registered Training Organization - Survival First Response. Industry professionals have identified key competencies which are vital to the operation and maintenance of a straddle carrier so the operator can use them in the safest and most efficient manner.
Global Marina Institute (GMI) Programs
- Advanced Marina Management (AMM)
- Intermediate Marina Management (IMM)
- Certified Marina Manager (CMM)
- Certified Marina Operator (CMO)
- Certified Service Manager (CSM)
- Certified Marina Professional (CMP)
- For more details please visit the GMI Section.
MIA Webinars (Past & Current)
- Workers Compensation Essentials
- How Can Marinas Save Money with Energy Cost Rising? A Solar Energy insight
- Spill Prevention and Containment Products - What’s available for your facility?
- Firefighting equipment and the latest technology
- Effective management of marina water discharge and run-off
- Learn from top Mediterranean marina operators
- Progress your career with the AMM course
- The Latest on New Marina Security Systems
- Demystifying Marina Dredging and Understanding New Technologies
- Don't turn a blind eye to social media in marina marketing
- Managing a Strata Title Marina
- Reconfiguring your marina with ageing infrastructure
- Gold Anchor Rating Scheme, your guide to improving service quality
- How hydraulic boat trailers can increase your yard efficiency
- Solving electrical issues at your marina
- Checking you're good to lift and lifting difficult boats
- Simulating an emergency fire response at your marina
- How to revitalize your marina through great events
- Marine Corrosion: A Marina's Role and Responsibility
- Electricity Metering Systems
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 1, 2019