MCA Approved International Yachtmaster Training, AMSA Approved Australian Qualifications & Other Courses in Newport, NSW
Located at Pittwater on Sydney's Northern Beaches in Newport -New South Wales, Superyacht Crew Academy provides training and certification for people who wish to work on Superyachts. Superyacht Crew Academy is the Australian partnership school of International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT). IYT Worldwide certificates are MCA approved and recognized by 25 governments around the globe. Superyacht Crew Academy is a RTO as well as a NSW Roads and Maritime Services and ASQA approved training provider.
All IYT courses may optionally qualify you for the European International Certificate of Competency. You will need this extra certificate if you plan to work on yachts operating in the coastal and inland waters of Europe. Your training program for Deckhand will also qualify you for an Australian General Purpose Hand certification. Training programs for Master of Yachts 200 ton will also qualify you for a Master Most courses include practical sea time training aboard modern, registered training yachts and the academy also organize cruises along the Australian coast to help you meet criteria for sea time. Immediately after the training course, deckhands and steward/ess will have the opportunity to gain work experience face to face with guests.
The Sydney Maritime Institute is a division of Superyacht Crew Academy and provides Australian maritime qualification and training. Club Sail, another division, provides sailing lessons and yacht charter.
- STCW 95+10 Training and Certification: All successful graduates receive the international IYT STCW95+10 certificate authorized by the Marshall Islands and recognized by the MCA, US Coast Guard, 25 governments, and all major crew placement agencies. Also you will receive a statement of attainment for the shipboard safety skill set and provide first aid which is recognized by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
- STCW 10 Maritime Security Awareness Update: If you trained for STCW 95 prior to 2014 you must take this update to maintain the validity of your STCW certification.
- STCW 95+10 Refresher Training: This course is an International MCA, Marshall Islands Refresher Course.
Deck Crew Courses
- Superyacht Deckhand Training: All successful graduates receive an international certification, and also you will receive an Australian General Purpose Hand NC Qualification Certificate I in Maritime Operations to work in Australia if you have also completed the STCW95 course.
AMSA Approved Courses
- General Purpose Hand Training Course: The Australian General Purpose Hand (GPH) Near Coastal qualification will enable you to work as a deckhand on Australian Registered commercial or private vessels.
- Master Less Than 24M NC: The Master less than 24m Near Coastal Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master Class 5) training program will enable you to crew to a rank of Captain on Australian Registered commercial vessels less than 24m long, operating in the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
- Australian Coxswain Training Course: The Australian Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal qualification will enable you to command Australian Registered commercial or private vessels less than 12m long with an outboard engine of any power or with an inboard engine of less than 500kW (670 hp).
- Australian Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Training Course: The combination theory and practical course incorporates design, operation and maintenance knowledge of main propulsion and ancillary equipment, auxiliary systems, extra-low voltage electrical systems, work health and safety, marine environmental legislation compliance and sustainability.
IYT Deck Officer Courses
- IYT Master of Yachts 200ton (Unlimited): This certification will allow you to work as - Master/Captain/Skipper or Chief Mate on commercial and private vessels up to 200 ton displacement, in all oceans, Chief Mate of 500 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore, Officer of the Watch of 500 ton vessels in all oceans.
- Fastrack to the Master of Yachts 200 Ton Certification: Start with zero experience, and in 11 weeks become qualified to be the Captain on Superyachts up to 200 ton, registered in 23 countries, wherever they are in the world.
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 Ton (Limited): The Master of Yachts 200gt (Limited) certification will allow you to work a - Master/Captain/Skipper on commercial and private vessels up to 200 ton displacement, up to 150 miles offshore, Chief Mate of 200 ton vessels in all oceans, Chief Mate of 500 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore, and Officer of the Watch of 500 ton vessels in all oceans.
- IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200gt: The Superyacht Crew Academy IYT Master of Yachts Coastal / Mate 200ton training program will qualify you for the MCA approved, internationally recognised Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200ton Certificate, enabling you to crew as Chief Mate in coastal waters on super yachts registered in 25 countries around the world.
Crossover / Bridging Courses
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 Ton/RYA Yachtmaster To Australian Master <24M NC Bridging Course: If you would like to work as Master/Captain/Skipper on Australian registered commercial vessels <24m in Australian coastal waters and you have an (IYT) International Yacht Training Master of Yachts 200 tons (Limited or Unlimited) certificate or an (RYA) Royal Yachting Association Yachtmaster (Offshore or Ocean) certificate you can take a 12 day bridging course to qualify for the issue of the Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master <24m NC).
- Australian Master Up To 24m NC Crossover to IYT Master Of Yachts 200ton (Limited): he Master of Yachts 200 Ton (Limited) certification is for the rank of Master/Captain/Skipper on commercial and private vessels up to 200 gt displacement up to 150 miles offshore. You will be certified to work as First Mate on vessels over 200 tons, or more than 150 miles offshore.
- Australian Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal to International Master off Yachts 200 Ton (Mate) Coastal Crossover Course: The Master of Yachts 200ton (Mate) certification is for the rank of Chief Mate on commercial and private vessels up to 200 gt displacement up to 60 nautical miles offshore. You will also be certified to work as Chief Mate of 200 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore or 500 ton vessels up to 60 nautical miles offshore.
Interior Crew Courses
- Yacht Chief Stewardess / Steward Training Course: This Course is for experienced yacht stewardesses or stewards that would like to be promoted to the Chief Stewardess position. Successful completion of this course will allow you to work as a chief stewardess on superyachts of any size anywhere in the world.
- Superyacht 12 Day Stewardess and Deckhand Training Course - IYT: The Superyacht Crew Academy 12 day Stewardess and Deckhand course is a complete training package for all entry level roles on board a Superyacht. This course encompasses the 5 day Basic Stewardess course , as well as providing extra practical and theory training in the role of deckhand, that allows you to gain the IYT Superyacht Deck Crew certification.
- Superyacht Stewardess or Steward 11 Day Training Course: The Superyacht Crew Academy 11 day course is a complete Professional Superyacht Hospitality Steward or Stewardess course. This course encompasses the entire 5 day course, as well as providing extra training that places greater emphasis on becoming an industry ready and desirable employee.
- Super Yacht Stewardess or Steward 5 Day Training Course: Successful completion of this course will allow you to work as an interior crew yacht Stewardess or Steward on superyachts of any size anywhere in the world. This course is ideally suited for people who have limited time to complete a basic Superyacht Hospitality course.
- IYT Small Powerboat and RIB Master (MCA Approved)
- LROCP (Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency) - VHF/HF Marine Radio Operators Certificate
- Offshore Sea-Miles
- The International Certificate of Competency (ICC)
- NSW Powerboat License Theory Session & Test
Sydney Maritime Institute Courses
- Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal)
- Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- Certificate III In Maritime Operations (Master <24m NC)
Club Sail (IYT) Courses
- Introduction to Sailing
- International Crew
- International Bareboat Skipper Theory
- International Bareboat Skipper Practical
- Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper
- Private Sailing Instruction
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 1, 2019