AMSA Approved Coxswain and Other Programs & Boat Licence Training in New South Wales
Established in 2009 and located at New South Wales and Canberra, Maritime Training School (MTS) offers various boat licensing courses and marine qualifications under AMSA and Roads and Maritime Services stipulations. The school trains candidates at various locations in New South Wales (NSW) & Australian Capital Territory (ACT).
Maritime Training School trainers have a TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment as well as relevant maritime experience. . The boat license courses are designed for both the experienced and the newcomer. The training locations are Dalbora Marinas - Cabarita NSW, Royal Motor Yacht Club Port Hacking - Burraneer NSW, 3rd Mosman Sea Scouts – Mosman NSW, Rose Bay NSW, and The Dickson Tradies - Canberra ACT.
AMSA Approved Training
- AMSA Exemption 38 (Blended): his course is aimed at people, who wish to acquire some of the required skills and knowledge to work as a Coxswain; who have a passion for driving boats and transporting goods on the water front or coast; or who want to operate as a Coxswain in a limited capacity. Exemption 38 is for limited maritime operations that undertake low complexity duties.
- General Purpose Hand (Deckhand) Course: The course focuses on developing the practical skills and knowledge required to work as a General Purpose Hand on board a vessel. Students of this course will learn to assist with deck operations on vessels up to 80m in Near Coastal waters.
- Coxswain Grade 1 Near Costal: This course is delivered in a blended format which can be partly completed at home in your own time and partly completed on the school training vessel. Each unit will have an assignment to complete along with the required student information in an easy to read format. Each unit also has a practical component, these components are clustered together and will be all done on the practical assessment days.
- Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal (NC): The holder of this certificate can command and operate engines of a vessel <12 m long that is not carrying passengers in sheltered waters or within 5 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease; and with propulsion power for an inboard engine - <100 kW unless endorsed to <500 kW inboard propulsion; or for an outboard engine - unlimited. Also command and operate the engines of a vessel that is not carrying passengers as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nm of a parent vessel in the EEZ; and with propulsion power for an inboard engine - <100 kW unless endorsed to <500 kW inboard propulsion; or for an outboard engine - unlimited.
Boat License Programs
- NSW (Sydney) Boat Licence Course: A NSW boat licence course from Maritime Training School will teach you everything you need to know to have fun and work on the water safely. For the practical components, you will board the 6.5m Brig Rib and put your classroom training into practice.
- Canberra Boat Licence Course: In Canberra, you are not allowed to use power boats on the lakes. However, a lot of Canberra’s residents use NSW waterways for holidays and entertainment. This means that if you live in Canberra, you are entitled to a NSW General Boat Licence.
- Twilight Express Boat Licence Course (2 hours): This course for is for those boaties that already have a good understanding of the rules and regulations. This express course will provide the practical training and assessment as well as the Exam.
- Sydney Boat Licence
- One Day Boat Licence Course
- Boat Licence Central Coast | Gosford Boat Licence Course
- PWC Licence
- Private Boat Training Sydney
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 13, 2017