Translate to Your Language
Memberships, Accredited Training, Professional Development Programs for Marine Surveyors in Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Established in 1986 and headquartered at Kingston ACT, the Australasian Institute of Marine Surveyors is the largest industry body in the Australasian region for professional marine surveyors and represents more than 80 per cent of the commercial marine surveyors in Australia and has members in most ports around Australia as well as all Australian States and Territories. AIMS also have members in the Asia and South Pacific regions as well as other overseas countries.
AIMS membership promotes and encourages talent, integrity and excellence in all that they do as surveyors and all that we do as an Association. With over 400 members AIMS also has members in New Zealand, the Asia and South Pacific regions as well as other overseas countries. Membership of AIMS gives you access to a wealth of knowledge, support, accreditation and training.
An applicant for full or associate membership must be a practicing marine surveyor and be engaged in work in any of the following categories - P & I clubs, classification societies, hull and machinery underwriters, cargo, small craft, and marine survey students and apprentices.
Accredited Training Programs
- Diploma of Maritime Operations (Marine Surveying): The course is delivered via self paced learning (correspondence) so you can start at any time, however there are practical components that need to be completed so you must have access to a vessel that is between 7 and 35 meters in length. The qualification is best suited to persons with current maritime experience and background as well as practicing marine surveyors. Maritime professionals such as Engineers, Naval Architects, and Master Mariners of all classes can align their work experiences and previous education to the Diploma qualification. Shipwrights, Electricians and specialized maritime trade persons may also be eligible to undertake this course. AIMS offers probationary membership to all new students as part of the course costs.
Professional Development Programs
- Conduct a Dry Bulk Cargo Survey
- Carry out a Draft Survey
- Survey Vessel Operational Systems
- Conduct an Audit of Safety Management Systems
- Develop Marine Survey Reports
- Survey Hull and Superstructure of a Commercial Vessel
- Plus more