Translate to Your Language
Nautical Science, Maritime Economics & Logistics and, Maritime Management Programs in Germany
Jade University is Germany’s youngest university in the north-west with history dating back to 1832. With over 7000 students and 180 professors, the university’s campuses in Wilhelmshaven, Oldenburg and Elsfleth strive to be a center of learning and research. The university is at the forefront of research and development and facilitates contacts with potential employers throughout Germany.
The Department of Maritime Studies at Jade University was established in 1832 as Oldenburg Regional Nautical College and later became part of the University of Applied Science in Oldenburg. Today the Faculty of Maritime Studies in Elsfleth is one of the largest of its kind in Europe.
An entrance requirement for studying at the Jade Hochschule Wilhelmshaven / Oldenburg / Elsfleth is that the student has a good working knowledge of German which will enable him or her to follow lectures and study independently. An increasing number of classes are held in English emphasizing international profile of the university.
- BSc in Nautical Science: Nautical science studies are appropriate for young people interested in a future in commanding ships. In addition to nautical subjects, the degree course covers science, law, and economics in addition to the certificate of competency for navigational officers. After the German “Abitur” (general qualification for university entrance) or the “Fachhochschulreife” (qualification for entrance to a university of applied science), or its equivalent, there are various routes to a certificate of competency for international shipping. Electives are offered in either nautical science/technology or economics/law.
- BSc in Maritime Economics and Port Management:This practically oriented degree course with an academic base leads to a B.Sc. in Maritime Economics and Logistics. It should appeal to students with an interest in languages, economics, and technology and leads to positions of responsibility in a range of fields at home and abroad. The normal length of the degree course is seven semesters (210 ECTS), including a practical semester (work placement) and an internship. A semester at one of our partner universities (New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, the Netherlands, South Africa or Hong Kong, for example) can be integrated into the basic studies. The bachelor thesis which completes the course will be written during the second work placement, usually in close co-operation with a company. This is a mutually profitable exchange.
- B.Sc. in International Logistics Management (ILM): International Logistics Management (ILM) is a course offering an academic foundation with a practically oriented focus, leading to a Bachelor of Science qualifying you to work in the international shipping business. ILM is an international course of study with two integrated semesters spent abroad. A “dual qualification” is possible, allowing students to graduate with a joint bachelor degree from both Elsfleth and the University of Applied Science in Vlissingen (Flushing). The normal length of the degree course is seven semesters.
- MSc in Maritime Management: This is a three-semester course, two of which are theoretical and one practical. Students can choose between the profiles Economics and Logistics, or Planning and the Environment. In the first semester the basics of economics, law, and methodology will be covered. In the second semester studies take on an individual profile as the students become part of a current research project. The Master thesis which completes the course is normally written in cooperation with a company, a mutually beneficial arrangement.
- MSc in International Maritime Management (Distance education): 10 modules, typically 2.5 years part-time, highly flexible and individual approach, interruptions possible. International Maritime Management enables you to achieve a Master’s degree without interrupting your professional work. The highly flexible concept of the study course lets you choose duration and place of study individually.