Deck and Engine Cadet Programs, Maritime Business, and Shipping, Logistics and Port Management Programs in Greece
Established in 1982, Metropolitan College (AMC) is the oldest private college and leading provider of Higher Education in Greece. It offers a broad range of academic and professional disciplines in partnership with leading UK Universities. The degrees that are awarded to all AMC graduates after successful completion of their studies in Greece, are awarded directly by the collaborating accredited UK Universities. AMC campuses are located at Athens, Maroussi, Piraeus, and Thessaloniki in Greece.
Faculty of Shipping and Maritime Studies at Metropolitan College provides training and development of highly-skilled executives to pursue successful careers in the Shipping and Maritime sector. The faculty provides programs, in collaboration with Southampton Solent University, a world leader in Maritime Studies including Warsash Maritime Academy, the world’s leading maritime education and training provider. The academic programs consist of up-to-date modules which cover all the latest trends and aspects of the functional and practical areas of Shipping, Maritime and Port Management.
Metropolitan College in Athens received its first accreditation by the British Accreditation Council (BAC), certifying that it is an overseas independent higher education institution. Metropolitan College is also accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT). Moreover, it is an Associate Member of INTERCARGO, the International Association of Dry Cargo Shipowners, and a Marine Member of the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).
Merchant Navy Programs
- BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management (Warsash Maritime Academy, English, 5 years): Metropolitan College’s engineer-cadet training program is directly franchised from world-renowned Warsash Maritime Academy, an integral part of Solent University, and it will be delivered in new premises in Piraeus, Greece. The program is taught in English by well qualified and experienced staff and will include a period of 6 weeks at Warsash Maritime Academy in Southampton where very specialized training and a limited number of exams will take place towards the end of the program. The program includes 6 successive phases of training, alternating between time spent at the College and time spent at sea.
- BSc (Hons) Marine Operations Management (Warsash Maritime Academy, English, 5 years): Metropolitan College’s deck-cadet training program is directly franchised from the world-renowned Warsash Maritime Academy, which is an integral part of Southampton Solent University, and it will be delivered in new premises in Piraeus, Greece. The program is taught in English and will include a period of 8 weeks at Warsash Maritime Academy in Southampton where very specialized training and a limited number of exams will take place towards the end of the program. En route to being awarded the BSc (Hons) degree, students will gain a Certificate of Competency (CoC), directly issued from UK’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and recognized by most Maritime Authorities around the globe, including Greece. Students will spend extended periods of time doing their sea-time placement within Greece’s leading shipping companies that are affiliated with Metropolitan College.
Other Bachelor Degree Programs
- BSc (Hons) Shipping and Port Management (Southampton Solent University, English, 3 years): This is a program of study in the area of Shipping, a key link in the global supply chain, as about 90 per cent of world trade is carried by the shipping industry. On the ship and port management degree students gain key knowledge and specific expertise in ship, port and transport operations, maritime law, marine finance and general management – all of the essential skills required to apply for a range of roles in this major global industry.
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business (Southampton Solent University, English, 3 years): The course helps students to capitalize on the numerous opportunities for a successful career in the Shipping industry and equips them with the balance of modern shipping knowledge and port management expertise sought after by employers in the industry.
- Recognition: The courses meet the needs of employers and professional bodies, as it is validated by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers ICS and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport CILT.
Masters Degree Programs
- MSc (Hons) International Shipping and Logistics (Southampton Solent University, English, 1 year): The program is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge sought after by employers within this dynamic industry. The units studied during the course aim to enable students to develop a detailed understanding of the operations and strategies of shipping as a single transport mode within the context of international multimodal logistics.
- MSc (Hons) International Maritime Business (Southampton Solent University, English, 1 year): The program features a strong business focus and explores the complex factors involved in the management of ships and shipping operations worldwide. Students will explore the fields of International Maritime Law, Finance and Business Risk and Maritime Management.
LAST UPDATED ON May 4, 2018