Translate to Your Language
Marine Supervisor, Shipyard Related, Confined Space, Metal Scaffolding, Project Management, Risk Assessment, and WSQ Courses for the Marine Industry by ASMI Singapore
Established in 1968, the Association of Singapore Marine Industries (ASMI) is a non-profit trade association in Singapore. The association promotes the interests and advancement of the marine industries in Singapore and represents the different sectors of the marine and offshore industry. The members include shipyards, local and foreign manufacturers and suppliers of marine equipment and components, marine engineering and consultancy companies to name a few.
ASMI organizes forums, seminars and conventions including training courses and workshops for the benefit of the stakeholders of the industry. The association also manages industry’s skills testing and certification programs. ASMI organizes and conducts a number of training courses for the marine industry to encourage the training and upgrading of marine personnel.
ASMI is an Accredited Training Provider (ATP) under the Singapore Ministry of Manpower, to conduct and certify several training courses for workers in the marine industry. It also collaborates with other government and educational institutions to provide upgrading courses for managers and supervisors in the industry.
Marine Supervisor Program
- Certified Marine Supervisors Course (5.5 days): This course provides supervisors with knowledge and skills of effective communication, motivation, performance management as well as various team-building and supervisory leadership skills. The course is suitable to Engineers, Foremen and Supervisors working in shipyards and marine companies. Participants who have successfully completed the course and pass the assessment will be issued with a Certificate of Completion in Certified Marine Supervisor Course by ASMI.
Shipyard Related Courses
- Common Shipyard Practice Module (5.5 days): This course provides participants with an overview and basic understanding of works and different production processes in the marine industry and suitable for new supervisors, executives and engineers without marine and offshore engineering background. Candidates who have successfully completed the course and pass the course test and assessment will be issued with a Common Shipyard Practice Course Certificate of Performance by Ngee Ann Polytechnic and ASMI.
- Safety Instruction Course for Shipyard Workers - General Trade (1 day): This course provides participants with basic safety knowledge of working in shipyards including potential hazards and safe practices at work as well as workers’ basic legal employment rights. Participants who have successfully completed the course and pass the course test will be issued with a Safety Instruction Course (SIC) for Shipyard Workers (General Trade) Training Pass by ASMI.
- Safety Instruction Course for Ship-Repair Managers (4.5 days): This Course provide participants with knowledge on the legal requirements, roles and responsibilities of a Ship Repair Manager, importance of WSH and how to establish and implement RM programs and WSH Management Systems. The course is for Ship Repair Managers, Project Engineers, and Project Managers working in the Shipbuilding and Ship Repairing industries.
- Shipyard Supervisor Safety Course (4.5 days): This course provides participants with the knowledge and skills on legal requirements, roles and responsibilities of a Supervisor, workplace safety and health management and risk management implementation. Participants who have successfully completed the course and pass the course test and assessment will be issued a Certificate of Completion by ASMI.
Confined Space Courses
- Confined Space Safety Course for Confined Space Workers / Attendants (3.5 hours): This course is for participants to gain knowledge on WSH responsibilities, characteristics and hazards in confined spaces, safety precautions for working in confined spaces and emergency response procedures. The course is aimed at workers who are required to enter into or work in confined spaces, and Workers who are required to carry out duties as Confined Space Attendants under the WSH (Confined Space) Regulations.
- Confined Space Safety Course for Shipyard Supervisors (1 day): This course provides marine supervisors with knowledge on their WSH responsibilities, hazards and safety precautions to take when working in confined spaces.
Metal Scaffolding Courses
- Marine Metal Scaffolding Course for Scaffolders (6 days - Program is conducted by outside training providers): This course provides Marine Scaffolders with knowledge and skills to erect, add, alter, maintain and dismantle various types of marine metal scaffolds in the shipyards. Participants who have successfully completed the course and pass the course test and assessment will be issued a Marine Metal Scaffold Erector Training Pass and a Certificate of Completion by ASMI.
- Marine Metal Scaffolding Course for Supervisors (5 days): This course provides Marine Scaffold Supervisors with knowledge and skills to design and plan marine metal scaffolds work, supervise erection, alteration and dismantling of scaffolds as well as to carry out inspection and certification of marine metal scaffolds. Participants who have successfully completed the course and pass the course test and assessment, and who possess the Shipyard Supervisors Safety Course Certificates will be issued a Marine Metal Scaffold Supervisor Training Pass and a Certificate of Completion by ASMI.
Project Management Courses
- Marine Project Management Course for Managers (7.5 days): This course provides participants with knowledge and skills of planning, execution, scheduling and cost control of a contracted job to ensure an integrated execution of the project.
- Marine Project Management Course for Supervisors (5.5 days): This course provides participants with knowledge and skills of planning of a specific area of work to ensure coordinated efforts of various activities resulting in a smooth flow of work within the budgeted cost.
Risk Assessment Courses
- Risk Assessment Course (1 day): This course provides participants with knowledge and skills on legal requirements, risk management methodology, hazards identification as well as risk assessment and risk control. This course is for employers, Self-Employed Persons, Principals (including contractors and sub contractors), Managers, Engineers, Supervisors and those responsible for conducting risk assessments in their workplaces.
- WSQ Develop a Risk Management Implementation Plan (2 days): Learners will acquire the knowledge and skills to be a Risk Management Team Leader/Risk Management Champion for the organization in reducing risks at source by managing the risk management process at workplace. It involves developing a practical risk management implementation plan for the organization which identifies specific actions to be taken, by whom and time for their completion. It also entails formation of risk management team, risk assessment, controlling and monitoring the risks, communicating these risks to all persons involved and in compliance with the Risk Management Code of Practice (RMCP). Participants who have successfully completed the course and deemed "Competent" will be issued a Statement of Attainment by Singapore Workforce Development Agency from Team-6 Safety Training and Consultancy (S) Pte Ltd.
- WSQ Perform Rigger and Signalman Tasks (2.5 days - Program is conducted by outside training providers): WSQ Perform Rigger and Signalman Tasks is designed to build the knowledge, skills and attitudes of all lifting personnel to increase the standards of operations and increase safety awareness when performing lifting operations as a Rigger and/or a Signalman. This course also equips Learners with the understanding of rigging and signaling and the knowledge and skills to maneuver a load safely to its destination in a much safer work environment. WSQ Perform Rigger and Signalman Tasks is a mandatory course in line with WSH (Operations of Cranes) Regulations for individuals who are assigned to carry out the lifting operation of load involving a mobile or tower crane. Participants who have successfully completed the course and deemed “Competent” will be issued a Statement of Attainment by Skillsfuture Singapore from Association of Singapore Marine Industries.
LAST UPDATED ON May 17, 2018