Translate to Your Language
Marine Engineering, Maritime Business & Nautical Studies Education; CoC & STCW Maritime Training at SMA and Training Programs at SP Pace Academy
Established in 1954, Singapore Polytechnic (SP) is the first polytechnic established in Singapore to train technologists and professionals to support the industrialization and economic development of Singapore. Singapore Polytechnic offers 50 full-time diploma courses and a wide range of continuing education programs. It has ten academic schools and one academic department.
The current enrolment of 18,000 full-time and part-time students, about 8% of whom are from countries in the region, are pursuing a total of 80 diploma and post-diploma courses in the Schools of Architecture and the Built Environment; Business; Chemical and Life Sciences; Communication, Arts and Social Sciences; Design; Digital Media and Infocomm Technology; Electrical and Electronic Engineering; Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering; and the Singapore Maritime Academy.
Established in 1957, the Singapore Maritime Academy (SMA) is the country's main maritime training institution and offers a full range of maritime diplomas and specialist diplomas, Certificate of Competency (CoC) courses as well as Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) courses. The courses are infused with technological perspectives that increase their relevance in today's world.
Full-time Diploma Programs
- Diploma in Marine Engineering (DMR) (3 years): The Diploma in Marine Engineering is a three-year full-time course, which includes a 9-week Industrial Training Program with approved establishments. The course structure is modularized to enhance learning and to provide flexibility of the course design. The structure of the diploma program provides for this in two ways - through intensive training in the fully equipped workshops and laboratories specifically designed for hands-on learning and through a structured 9-week Industrial Training Program with approved industrial organizations.
- Diploma in Maritime Business (DMB) (3 years): This diploma is designed to be practice-oriented. The link between theory and practice is achieved through hands-on work, practical exercises, case studies, industrial attachment and field visits. Students will be taught by experienced and qualified staff and will receive hands-on training on Portnet, Tradenet and the latest ship management and logistics software application programs. The 6-month shore-based industrial attachment exposure provides students with a first-hand experience of working in maritime-related or logistics organizations in Singapore.
- Diploma in Nautical Studies (DNS) (3 years): This three-year training program prepares students for the Diploma in Nautical Studies (DNS) and their first professional sea-going qualification - the Class 3 Deck Certificate of Competency. It is the first career step for the holder to sail as a junior deck officer, and later, as master of a ship. The course comprises three phases. Phase 1 commences at the start of the SP academic year whilst Phase 3 is conducted each semester. The holder of the diploma may be granted exemption from the written part of the Class 3 Certificate of Competency examination conducted by MPA Singapore. The student will be required to attend the STCW95 Medical First Aid on Board Ship course as an ancillary. The curriculum also covers Electronic Navigation Systems, GMDSS, Advanced Fire-fighting and Tanker Familiarization.
Part-Time Diploma Programs
- Diploma (Conversion) in Shipping Operations and Management (1 year): This program is targeted at shipping and logistics personnel with a polytechnic diploma or higher qualifications. It aims to give participants a greater level of understanding in shipping operations and shipping management. Junior and middle management executives who complete this diploma will be able to perform their jobs with a greater level of competence and understanding. Suitable for maritime and logistics executives currently working in the shipping industry but do not possess maritime qualifications or relevant sea-going experience.
- Diploma (Conversion) in Shipping and Marine Offshore (1 year): This post-diploma program provides the students with the theoretical knowledge and principles in shipping and offshore operations so that they will have a greater understanding of the rapidly changing industry practices and concepts. It is the only course that offers both the elements of shipping and marine offshore operations and management from a holistic perspective. Suitable for shipping and offshore executives currently working in the maritime industry but do not possess maritime qualifications or relevant sea-going experience.
- Diploma in Maritime and Offshore Management (1 year): This one-year program is to enable participants who do not possess maritime qualification to take up a career in the maritime and offshore industry. It aims to give the participants a greater level of understanding in shipping, logistics and offshore operations and management. The participants will be able to perform their jobs with a greater level of competence and understanding after completing this course. This course is suitable for non-maritime professionals who would like to switch to a maritime and offshore industry career.
Diploma Plus Programs
- Maritime Law & Dispute Resolution (3 semesters): This course aims to strengthen and expand the basic maritime law taught and provides an applicable knowledge of dispute resolution to our business students in preparation for their degree studies or to work as maritime claims executives or paralegals.
Certificate of Competency (COC) Courses
- CoC Class 1 Deck Officer
- CoC Class 1 & 2 Deck Officer
- CoC Class 3 Deck Officer
Marine Engineer Officers
- CoC Class 1 Marine Engineer Officer (Orals)
- CoC Class 1 and 2 Marine Engineer Officer (Part B)
- CoC Class 1 and 2 Marine Engineer Officer (Part A - Distance Learning Program)
- CoC Class 5 Marine Engineer Officer (Preparatory)
- CoC Class 5 Marine Engineer Officer (Graduate Mechanical Engineer)
- Safety Familiarization Training (1 day)
- Basic Occupational Safety & Security Training (8 days)
- BOSST (Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities) (2 days)
- BOSST (Security Awareness Training) (0.5 day)
- BOSST (Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting) (1 day)
- BOSST (Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting - Practical) (1 day)
- BOSST (Elementary First Aid) (2 days)
- BOSST (Personal Survival Techniques) (0 .5 day)
- Emergency Occupational Safety & Survival Revalidation (1.5 days)
- Prof. in Survival Craft & Rescue Boat (5 days)
- Prof. in Fast Rescue Boats (3 days)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (4 days)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (Practical) (1 day
- Electronic Chart Display & Information System (ECDIS) (5 days)
- Electronic Navigation Systems for Industry (80 hours)
- Electronic Navigation Systems for SMA CoC3 students
- Navigation Control (5 days)
- Basic Tanker Training (9.5 days)
- Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations (8 days)
- Advanced Chemical Tanker Safety (6 days)
- Advanced Liquefied Gas Tanker Safety (8 days)
- General Operator's Certificate (GMDSS GOC) (2 weeks)
- Restricted Operator's Certificate (GMDSS ROC) (5 days)
- Shipboard Training & Assessment (e-Learning) (6months approx)
- Crowd Management & Safety Training for Passenger Ships (1 day)
- Crisis Management, Human Behaviour & Safety for Passenger Ships (1.5 days)
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (1 day)
- Ship Security Officer (2 days)
- Bridge Resource Management (Operational Level) (3 days
- Bridge Resource Management (Management Level) (4 days
- Engine Room Resource Management (Operational Level) (3 days)
- Engine Room Resource Management (Management Level) (5 days)
- High Voltage Installation Operational Course (1 day)
- High Voltage Installation Management Course (3 days)
Other Maritime Courses
- Powered Pleasure Craft Driving Licence (PPCDL)
- Ship Security Officer (SSO) Course
- Company Security Officer (CSO) Course
- Port Facility Security Officer (PFSO) Course
- Class 1 Steam Boiler Attendant Course
- Class 2 Steam Boiler Attendant Course
- Throw overboard liferaft operations course..
- GMDSS-GOC Revalidation: General Guidance
SP Pace Academy Courses
- WSQ Diploma in Freight and Transportation Services (1 year part-time): The WSQ Diploma in Freight & Transportation Services aims to provide learners with a comprehensive understanding of the functions and activities of sea, air freight and land transportation. It covers technology, process, vessel and equipment types and documentation aspects of managing international transport and distribution of goods.
- WSQ Diploma in Warehouse Services (1 year part-time): The WSQ Diploma in Warehouse Services aims to provide learners with a comprehensive understanding of the functions and activities in warehouse and inventory management. It covers costing, technology, process, layout, materials handling systems and manpower aspects of managing a warehouse to support manufacturing or distribution.
- Chartering (Online): This module prepares students to secure employment in a merchant vessel for the carriage of goods at sea and provides insight into the shipping freight market and the various types of vessels involved in the carriage of goods at sea. Acquire the knowledge of the International Commercial Terms (Incoterms), the Bill of Lading and methods used for payment of goods in an international sale.
LAST UPDATED ON Mar 8, 2017