Deck and Marine Engineering Training Programs for Singapore Certificate of Competency
Established in 2010, Tripartite Maritime Training Awards (TMTA) This is a joint initiative by Singapore Maritime Officers’ Union (SMOU), SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG), Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), and supported by NTUC’s Employment and Employability Institute (E2i), Singapore Shipping Association (SSA) and shipping companies.
To address the acute shortage of seafarers in the growing maritime industry, the TNTA and TETA training programs serve as a vital gateway to prepare the younger generation of seafarers for the challenging and yet rewarding seafaring career. TMTA programs are heavily subsidized by SSG, MPA, e2i and SMOU in the effort to encourage more Singaporeans to take on Maritime careers. There will also be monthly allowance provided for successful candidates.
The program is conducted by SMOU’s training arm, Wavelink Maritime Institute (WMI). Cadets are employed by a shipping company even before they embark on their training. Cadets will receive between S,200 - S,400 training allowance during their training.
Under this initiative, cadets undergo 6 months of pre-sea training, before sailing on board their employer’s ship for approximately 18 months, and returning on shore thereafter for 7 months before sitting for their Certificate of Competency Examinations.
Tripartite Nautical Training Award (TNTA) (31 Months)
The Tripartite Nautical Training Award (TNTA) is a training program that enables Singaporeans to be trained as CoC (Class 3) Deck Officers to join the Maritime industry.
- Phase 1 - Certificate in Nautical Studies (Pre Sea Deck Cadet Training Program) at Wavelink Maritime Institute - 6 months
- Phase 2 - On Job Training onboard ship (sea service) - 18 months
- Phase 3 - Certificate of Competency (COC Class 3) Preparatory Course at Singapore Maritime Academy & STCW Short Courses at Singapore Maritime Academy & Wavelink Maritime Institute - 7 months
- Entry Requirements: Singaporeans with minimum GCE “N” level pass in English, Mathematics and Science (preferably Physics)
Tripartite Engineering Training Award (TETA) (31 Months)
The Tripartite Engineering Training Award (TETA) is a training program that enables Singaporeans to be trained as CoC (Class 5) Marine Engineers to join the Maritime Industry.
- Phase 1 - Certificate in Marine Engineering (Pre Sea Marine Engineering Training Program) at Wavelink Maritime Institute - 8 months
- Phase 2 - On Job Training onboard ship (sea service) - 15 months
- Phase 3 - Certificate in Marine Engineering (Certificate of Competency Class 5 Marine Engineer Officer) Preparatory Course & STCW Short Courses at Wavelink Maritime Institute & Singapore Maritime Academy - 8 months
- Entry Requirements: Singaporeans with minimum Higher Nitec, preferably with the following disciplines - Marine Engineering, Offshore & Marine Engineering Design, or Marine & Offshore Technology.
LAST UPDATED ON Jan 11, 2021