Maritime Safety & Health Specialist Certificate including OSHA 5410, 5400, and 5402 Courses in Seattle WA
The Pacific Northwest OSHA Education Center has provided the highest quality safety and health training to individuals in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Alaska since 1995, and is the only OSHA-authorized training center in Region 10. The expert instructors provide engaging standards based, OSHA-authorized training designed to reduce and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses.
Students gain skills and competence in OSHA policies and procedures, and best practices for safety and health in their workplace. The center trains individuals in our classrooms, at conferences, and on-site during customized trainings, making the courses easily accessible to all prospective students. With 37 core courses, 7 safety and health certificate programs, and Outreach Trainer Programs for 4 different industries, they offer numerous training and career advancement opportunities.
Pacific Northwest OSHA Education Center is part of University of Washington Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Continuing Education Programs (UW DEOHS CE).
- Maritime Safety & Health Specialist Certificate (138–144 contact hours): The Maritime Safety & Health Specialist Certificate is for individuals interested in gaining expertise in maritime industry safety and health and taking a key set of skills to their place of employment. Individuals who complete the certificate program will be authorized as a Maritime Industry Outreach Trainer to conduct the 10- and 30-hour courses for Shipyard Employment, Marine Terminals, or Longshoring operations
- Applicants must have 3 years industry experience in ship repairing, shipbuilding, shipbreaking, marine terminals, or longshoring AND 2 years safety and health experience in any industry.
Certificate Program Required Courses
- OSHA #5410 OSHA Standards for the Maritime Industry (5 days): Learn to identify hazards and apply appropriate standards for workplace safety and health in the maritime industry. This course is a prerequisite for OSHA #5400 Train-the-Trainer course.
- OSHA #5400 Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for the Maritime Industry (4 days): Authorizes instructors to conduct the 10- and 30-hour Maritime courses in the shipyard industry, including ship repair, ship-building, and shipbreaking; marine terminal; or longshoring.
- OSHA #521 OSHA Guide to Industrial Hygiene (4 days): Learn about key industrial hygiene principles including Permissible Exposure Limits, hazard communication, sampling instrumentation, and workplace health and safety program elements.
- OSHA #2264 Permit-Required Confined Space Entry (3 days): Learn about the hazards of confined space entry, confined space entry standards, and personal protective equipment.
- OSHA #3115 Fall Protection (3 days): Overview of state-of-the-art technology for fall protection, featuring a demonstration of fall protection equipment.
OSHA Maritime Update Courses
- OSHA 5402 Maritime Industry Trainer Update Course length (3 days): For those who have completed OSHA #5400 and who are active trainers in the Maritime Industry Outreach program. This program is required every four years to maintain an active trainer status.
Other OSHA Online Courses
- Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Transportation Safety
- Environmental Compliance
- Emergency Response and Management
- Human Resources
- Construction, 10-hour and 30-hour OSHA cards
- General Industry 10-hour OSHA card